Mold in fish room

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I ordered some of that mold stuff, but are there any dehumidifiers that are cheaper? I only have a 55 gallon and two 40s in that room.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Not sure if a dehumidifier would help, because I already keep the heat running in the basement most of the time.
Hello; the heat helps the mold to grow. Humidity is likely the problem. Basements can be more humid even without tanks.

What I’m trying to say is that a dehumidifier can only help you, it can’t hurt you to get one.
Mould has some serious health hazards. I would definitely add a dehumidifier as previously suggested
Hello; yes to a dehumidifier.

I only have a 55 gallon and two 40s in that room.
Hello; Clearly there is enough moisture in the air from all sources. You can try to cover the tanks more tightly to cut down on evaporation. Lower the tank temperature a bit might slow down evaporation.
During the winter if you have a heat pump and central heat/air that type heat does not remove moisture from the air. Heat pumps do remove moisture during the AC months.

While I figure along with some others that a dehumidifier likely your best choice, I do hear what Duanes said in that a fan to move the air around is a good idea. I do not think a fan alone is the ultimate solution but keeping the air moving can help. Leave the doors open to the basement if there are doors.

I moved into a house with a heat pump about ten years ago. I had oil heat before and never had a humidity issue. In the new house with a 55, a 30 and a 15 gallon tank plus my cooking, showers and breathing I wound up with condensation on the inside of my double pane French doors which either froze in a thick layer or made a puddle on my floor.
The second winter I got and ran a small dehumidifier. It makes a difference. I only run it during the months when it is cold outside and I have the house closed up tight. In a basement you may have to run one all year.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
As an after precaution (once you clean out the mold and get a dehumidifier) put a bucket of rice in the cabinet. No lid of course.

My husbands shop gets so humid his tools were rusting. We are talking thousands of dollars worth of tools. I put little condiment containers of rice in all draws on his tool chests and cupboards and it stopped all rusting. Rice is awesome and cheap. But not a replacement for a humidifier.

Reactions: phreeflow

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I literally got an upper respiratory infection because of prolonged exposure to 70 something percent humidity in my room for months. I was up every night having to focus on every breath I took or my body wouldn’t breathe until 6 am when My body finally started breathing on it’s own and I could fall asleep.
Does that sound like fun? If so then continue with the humidity. If not then I’d tell your parents what’s going on and what happened to me after months of exposure to high humidity. My mother went out the very day I told her and dropped over $100 on that dehumidifier without a second thought and it was the best thing she could have done.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I just measured my room and it’s roughly 12’ x 11’ x 8’, I have a 75 gallon, a 55 gallon, and a 29 gallon running. That’s all, 159 gallons.
You have a 55 gallon and two 40 gallon breeders, 135 gallons.
We are close to the same number of gallons and I’d say if we were put in the same scenario you would just have taken longer to get the upper respiratory infection.
I really would tell your parents about the situation and what could happen. That may persuade them to help finance your dehumidifier.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I doubt I'll have to run a dehumidifier in the summer, I can just open the windows, but I'll probably get one for the winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store