Monster Diatomaceous Earth (DE) filter!

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Wow Joe,

That is going to be quite a fish room! Very impressive!
I have been noticing that I am having to recycle the DE (turn off the pump and pump the handle) about once a week now. I don't know if this is due to the DE getting loaded with dirt... or, I suspect, the flow from my little quiet one 3000 pump on my 35g is just a lot more susceptible to head pressure than my big 1/8hp pump.

I am very sold on the DE filters with the fingers for filter screens and the handle to knock off the DE and recycle it. I would think one bigger DE would be better than 2 smaller ones... I would just want to stay with the type of DE filter that has the fingers. I haven't ever actually used a conventional DE with big screens on plastic frames, so I don't really have anything to back my statement. To me running two DE filters would just be unneeded complexity.

I might postulate about the huge surface area the DE has and how it could possibly be a massive playground for beneficial bacteria... and having two DE filters would keep you from washing all of your bacterial down the drain during a single filter flush. This would be my only consideration for twin DE filters.

I think you might be surprised at how well an EC40 might work for your massive amount of tankage. But it is kind of new territory so it is kind of hard to estimate how much DE filter area is needed for any given cumulative tank size. They are designed to filter swimming pools... and my fish are cleaner then most people I know even though my fish do poop in the water. :)

P.S. I agree, I haven't felt any need to run a UV sterilizer. My fish have been through a considerable amount of stress since my 110g sprung a leak and are doing fine. I would think that if there was ever a time that they would be susceptible to a fungus or other disease it would be now when they have been moved from a 110 to a 35 but they are doing fine. I think the DE and perfectly clear water has a positive affect on their health as well as the large amount of O2 in the water from the wet/dry sump. As far as keeping unwanted microorganisms out of the water, I am not sure what 50% of a UV filter I am missing?

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Wow Joe,

That is going to be quite a fish room! Very impressive!
I have been noticing that I am having to recycle the DE (turn off the pump and pump the handle) about once a week now. I don't know if this is due to the DE getting loaded with dirt... or, I suspect, the flow from my little quiet one 3000 pump on my 35g is just a lot more susceptible to head pressure than my big 1/8hp pump.

I am very sold on the DE filters with the fingers for filter screens and the handle to knock off the DE and recycle it. I would think one bigger DE would be better than 2 smaller ones... I would just want to stay with the type of DE filter that has the fingers. I haven't ever actually used a conventional DE with big screens on plastic frames, so I don't really have anything to back my statement. To me running two DE filters would just be unneeded complexity.

I might postulate about the huge surface area the DE has and how it could possibly be a massive playground for beneficial bacteria... and having two DE filters would keep you from washing all of your bacterial down the drain during a single filter flush. This would be my only consideration for twin DE filters.

I think you might be surprised at how well an EC40 might work for your massive amount of tankage. But it is kind of new territory so it is kind of hard to estimate how much DE filter area is needed for any given cumulative tank size. They are designed to filter swimming pools... and my fish are cleaner then most people I know even though my fish do poop in the water. :)

P.S. I agree, I haven't felt any need to run a UV sterilizer. My fish have been through a considerable amount of stress since my 110g sprung a leak and are doing fine. I would think that if there was ever a time that they would be susceptible to a fungus or other disease it would be now when they have been moved from a 110 to a 35 but they are doing fine. I think the DE and perfectly clear water has a positive affect on their health as well as the large amount of O2 in the water from the wet/dry sump. As far as keeping unwanted microorganisms out of the water, I am not sure what 50% of a UV filter I am missing?
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-EC75A-Perflex-Pool-Filter/dp/B000FNEIO6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

that one is supposed to do 4,000 to 5,000 GPH. Only reason I might do two DE filters at this point is if my system runs two pumps for whatever reason. We are setting up and testing the system with a 4,000 GPH pump that runs at really high wattage then after making sure the flow is right we will pick the proper little giant inline pond offerings, and match a DE filter with our selection. The filter I have will certainly go on something, actually every tank over 125 gallons I have from now on shall probably have on unless I have a negative experience at some point.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-EC75A-Perflex-Pool-Filter/dp/B000FNEIO6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

that one is supposed to do 4,000 to 5,000 GPH. Only reason I might do two DE filters at this point is if my system runs two pumps for whatever reason. We are setting up and testing the system with a 4,000 GPH pump that runs at really high wattage then after making sure the flow is right we will pick the proper little giant inline pond offerings, and match a DE filter with our selection. The filter I have will certainly go on something, actually every tank over 125 gallons I have from now on shall probably have on unless I have a negative experience at some point.
That is exactly the DE filter I would be looking at for your setup! Two filters for two pumps makes perfect sense.

The filter I have will certainly go on something, actually every tank over 125 gallons I have from now on shall probably have on unless I have a negative experience at some point.
I would love to see you implement the filter you have and get your feed back on how you like it. I love mine and would not have a tank without one either... but that is just me. From your other post it looks like you are much deeper into this hobby than I am... I would love to hear your feedback, especially before you buy another one. I can't imagine others would not like them as much as I do... but I have been known to be wrong before (on occasion). :D I guess I am just looking for a little validation for my enthusiasm for Monster DE filters.

I noticed a slight drop in my electric bill when I took my 1/8hp pump off line. When I am able to build a sizable tank to replace my 110g I will be searching for the pump with the proper balance between flow, pressure capacity, noise and running wattage. The 1/8hp was too big and a little noisy. The Quiet One 3000 is a little small and doesn't handle much head pressure. It is fine on my 35 and cycling the DE once a week is no big deal (It takes 1 minute max since my DE filter isn't under a stand).

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I'm looking for that to, started a thread on high efficiency pond pumps. I have two fast pumps, one is great-the maxi jet moves 1,300 gph for 75 watts but has less head and less hp that other models.

cabinetman

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
nova scotia canada
I know this is an old thread that seamed to have died but I’m hoping the idea of using these filters on a huge tank hasn’t. I ordered mine a few days ago for my 560 gallon tank and can’t wait to set it up. I got a smoking deal at $96 Canadian too. I’ll post my findings once I get mine running. Right now I run a pool sand filter with a 1/3 hp motor running it and it keeps the water clean but I want that sparkling look and I hope this gives it to me

Reactions: jjohnwm

cabinetman

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
nova scotia canada
I’ve been running one on my 560 gallon fish only tank for a little over a week. I’m truly amazed how clear my water is now. I’m feeding it with a jebao dc 18000 pump. I’m only showing a pound or 2 back pressure but I’m getting Tons of flow. Before I got this I was running a DC 12,000 Jebao and with this new set up I’m getting a lot more flow into my tank. I haven’t done anything to this filter since I set it up and added the diatomaceous earth. I highly recommend these filters for a fish tank as there is nothing like them as far as I can tell. That’s just my experience so far and I’ll continue to update as time goes on but it appears I’m having the same results as the original poster

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
I don't have any comments but love the idea of these filters. What canister are you using?

Glad it is working well for you In your 560.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store