Monster flagtail

He’s doing really well. Seems really happy, Chasing the tinfoil barbs around.

The pits on his head are starting to heal up not too bad now. View attachment 1364668
HELLO HUMAN HOW ARE YOU DO YOU HAVE ANY FOOD BY ANY CHANCE JUST WONDERING YOU KNOW

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Flagtail and tank both looking great Matthew! He's even bigger than I thought, last shot puts it into perspective. Keeping your tank cleaner?

Reactions: Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Islandguy,does that shop still have the bigger one that you mentioned?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ya post a pic if so
I'll admit I've never had a flagtai before and haven't done much research on them but I wasn't aware they grew as big as that one you bought.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Ya I will try to get a better measurement pic some day. I was kind of sketched out with putting it on the ground to measure. When o tried to bet it out of the box it jumped about 2-3’ out, luckily landed back in the bag.

Something tells me that they get even bigger than this. I think this one might even be stunted. I think this is the biggest tank it has ever seen. Even at the pet store it was in a 120.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Islandguy,does that shop still have the bigger one that you mentioned?

Ya post a pic if so
First let me revise my statement after seeing Mattew's FG from a wider angle, as per above post it's bigger than I imagined from the close-ups -- so in fact I would have to say the one I saw in my LFS wasn't twice as big, though it was quite a big bigger (and much older too, as I do recall it had lost quite a bit of shine and coloration compared to younger FG's -- big as it already is Matthew's FG is still kinda of a young'un, so he's going to get even more massive under his good care. Mine's hopefully on the same track but he's even younger and closer to 8" or 9". Unsurprisingly he's grown at twice the rate of my NTT.

Hope you get one, they really are one of the ultimate monster tank cleaners and have some character too, if occasionally spookish.

In fact I haven't been by that shop for a while, as I've been dealing with another a lot that sold me my recently cracked tank. I'll stop by there maybe this weekend, but for now here's another good size one at the LFS that sold me my tank). I'd reckon it's about the same size/age as Mattew's beauty. Some pretty big Dats in there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matteus and moe214

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
To clarify I'm for sure not trying to rag on size of my bro Matthew's beastly Flagtail, it's huge and going to get even huger, but just trying to show how big these babies get. And I thought I'd seen another pretty big one in one of TBTB's YouTube vids, just found some short footage. Not sure if it's longer but it certainly is fatter lol -- you gotta admit there aren't too many cuter truly monster sized fish.

Last edited:

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
No worries bro. I was hoping to get a 6” one just big enough the bass wouldn’t eat it but this was the only one I could find in a 4 hr radius of my house. Then a week later they got 6 into lfs that were exactly the same size I was looking for at same price point. Then they went up $40 a week later. Super rare to find them at 6” around here.

If he ends up growing bigger I’m ok now that I have the 300g in my back pocket

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store