Monster Predatory Community Update, it's been a while...

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
Ricaracing;2175878; said:
Nice tank pics
Thanks a lot.

Dollar321 said:
Hi - im wondering did you intend on setting up the community in a smaller tank? Do you think it would of worked as well doing it straight away in a bigger one with the territory this would create
I did have these fishes (minus the motas and convicts) in a 190g for a little over a year with zero problems. This includes multiple spawns from the jags and loisellis. I feel it probably would've worked as well had I started them all in the 360g, maybe better due to more space. The bigger the tank, the better in most cases.

RookieOfTheYear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2008
CA
hey dude for a community cichlid tank like that you didnt need any hiding places for them? did they all grow up together or what?

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
RookieOfTheYear;2209290; said:
hey dude for a community cichlid tank like that you didnt need any hiding places for them? did they all grow up together or what?
They all have their own "houses" or "holes", but no hiding spots. In other words, they each (or each pair) have a place to claim as their "house". There aren't really any places for them to be totally out of reach of another fish trying to get them (except for the Convicts, there are places they can hide where a predator couldn't reach them). Some of the stock was raised from fry size, some were added as juveniles/young adults, and some were added as full grown adults.

With that said, there hasn't been a need for hiding places. They all get along pretty well. It's a delicate balance that has been achieved and maintained by carefully controlling all the variables. I have to make them work for me rather than against me in regards to my wants and needs with an aggressive predatory community. This includes, but is not limited to, water quality, temperature, frequency of feeding, variety of foods including live, territory, and on and on.

johndoe21ro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Romania
Wake up. Show us some new stuff, some pics with yer setup :grinno:. You don't want this thread to be forgotten, do you? I'm waiting. By the way ... the exam went just fine and everything is ok. Still hoping for some update of my thread although I'm very busy and I have small problems with algae in my tank and can't take any nice pics. Everytime I change water .. it gets even worse. I'm gonna have to buy a UV clarifier ... Hope to hear soon form u.

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
:help2:Old thread but need advice/experience ... two juvenile parachromis (friedrichsthalii-female) with jaguar in community tank.. Will it work ? 125gallon eventually 350gallon tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store