Monster Sized Gravel Vacuum (Python on 'roids)

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
That thing is a beast, cool idea!

I would say put a screen in the siphon some how to keep it from sucking a fish threw, but it wouldnt help. With the suction power of that thing, if your fish did get sucked in, the screen would cut your fish in cubes....

Greenspot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 24, 2008
Australia
Thats awesome! I just finished doing a water change on my 170, took me ages and was going to post something about how to build a bigger one. I was worried if I made the pipe bigger the gravel would just get sucked all the way up and out. I really like the flow stopping tap, with my water change today i had to get my boyfriend to run outside and stop the flow when a yabbie got stuck in the pipe.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Greenspot;2719675; said:
Thats awesome! I just finished doing a water change on my 170, took me ages and was going to post something about how to build a bigger one. I was worried if I made the pipe bigger the gravel would just get sucked all the way up and out. I really like the flow stopping tap, with my water change today i had to get my boyfriend to run outside and stop the flow when a yabbie got stuck in the pipe.
This definitely speeds up water changes. The ball valve comes in handy when I'm moving from one opening in my tank to another in that it keeps the siphon primed. But by making the intake larger by attaching the gatorade bottle with the bottom cut out, it disperses the suction enough so that rocks don't get sucked out of my tank. I typically tone it down a little with the ball valve, but by expanding the intake I'm able to vacuum more gravel everytime I set it down into the substrate, which is another huge timesaver.

Sorry to hear about your yabbie (I had to use google to find out what that is). We call them crayfish or crawdads over here :). Was he/she ok?

drb

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2006
Where ever i'm at!
Now somebody modify this slightly so it can still be started with the faucet and then return water to the tank like the Python!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
drb;2723907; said:
Now somebody modify this slightly so it can still be started with the faucet and then return water to the tank like the Python!
You pointed out the two flaws. To get the siphon started, I have to take a deep breathe and suck like a banchee. To refill the tank, I use a standard hose attached to a bathroom sink faucet.

I'll have to figure out how to solve these two issues before I go into production. :confused:

drb

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2006
Where ever i'm at!
aldiaz33;2723922; said:
You pointed out the two flaws. To get the siphon started, I have to take a deep breathe and suck like a banchee. To refill the tank, I use a standard hose attached to a bathroom sink faucet.

I'll have to figure out how to solve these two issues before I go into production. :confused:
Patent it when you figure it out, could be a million dollar idea!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
aldiaz33;2695676; said:
I'll try to post a video. I get a little nervous when I have to prime it because I have some clown loaches (3"-4") that could get sucked up if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time. They typically hide when I'm doing water changes, but I still worry about it.
Dovii kid;2719620; said:
That thing is a beast, cool idea!

I would say put a screen in the siphon some how to keep it from sucking a fish threw, but it wouldnt help. With the suction power of that thing, if your fish did get sucked in, the screen would cut your fish in cubes....
Use plastic canvas from craft/hobby dept/stores.

drb;2723907; said:
You need to dechlor the water first, now if you inject dechlor at the faucet end with a metering pump and create a mixing turbulence...

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store