monster tank on main floor?

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
That is 1200 lbs of just water. so your looking at aprox. 1500 lbs with tank and extras. Equivlant to 100 people give or take I would say if you could get a support wall and close to the outside wall then it would be alright. Like if you built a closet just under where the tank is then you would be supporting right to the foundations.
TAKE like 90 people away 1500/10 = 150

Here is a post I made a bit ago; and although I agree that you should not take risks with the floor, it still stands to reason...

This post was in reference to a 75 with a 48x18 stand... Your 150 @ 48x24 will be a 30 inch high tank right?

Lets assume, for a moment that the stand weighs 60 pounds.

the water is ~ 625 pounds

total = 685

Lets add another 125 for good measure (glass/rock filter etc.) Now we are at 810 lbs

The stand is 18 inches by 4 feet or 6 square feet.

Now divide 810 / 6 Thats 135 lbs per square foot.

Now here is the tricky part..... Get your bathroom scale (a scale is about 1 scuare foot)

Step on the scale... If it says more than 135 & you have not fallen through the floor, then the floor will hold the tank.
:thumbsup:

You just cant beat that logic.

We (I) also assume hare that the stand is not a point-loaded stand & will distribute the weight kinda even.

By that same logic, you would be putting 15~1600 lbs over 8 sq feet or 190~200 lbs per sq foot.

Lots of good advice. sister the joists & run the tank perpedicular if possible.
then you hit 3 rather than only two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store