Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2010
United States
snakeguy101;4849511; said:
and as a related topic, here is a good video to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrWhb7EBVsA
[YT]UrWhb7EBVsA[/YT]
Im pretty sure we have all seen this video before lol. I don't really support venomoids because it leads to irresponsibility and is also cruel to the animal, but that was probably some back alley operation.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
Even human doctors make mistakes. What makes everyone so sure that someone at venomoid inc can't make a mistake? Every time this issue is mentioned, some one brings up that they got it from venomoid inc and that it is safe and harmless. I would LOVE for some one to say that to this guy now. It is not worth the risk. If you want to keep venomous, take the time to go through training and learn how to keep venomous. If you want something you can hold and love, get a cat- no snake is this type of pet.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
I think venomoids as we know them shouldnt exist period. Sorry if anyone doesant agree with me but thats what I think. As for the thread, it is sad and actually I even can feal sorry for knucle head guy...he may be a d. bag but no human is perfect.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
coura;4849839; said:
I think venomoids as we know them shouldnt exist period. Sorry if anyone doesant agree with me but thats what I think. As for the thread, it is sad and actually I even can feal sorry for knucle head guy...he may be a d. bag but no human is perfect.
I agree 100%

brooklynboy521

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2010
United States
Chris I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, I am 99.9% against venomoids and think they should not be available to the general public. I do believe in owner responsibility however, and this guy showed complete disregard for owner responsibility and we all pay the price. When I say it was probably a back alley operation I do mean it. Venomoid Inc either know I do not support them has a reputation for doing it right. It wasn't an attack on you I was simply implying that the snake in the video was probably the product of a back alley operation.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
Sorry I think there is a misunderstanding. I was not referring to you or anyone in particular. The venomoid debate can get me heated and I am sorry if I came off as rough to you. I was just calling upon past debates that I have seen on this topic.

Brooklynella

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
LI, NY
I love cruising the Reptile ads on Craigslist. There are some truly scary things living in NYC.:D I am amazed at how many 12 ft Retics, Alligator Snappers and Monitor Lizards live in these crappy little city apartments.:screwy::D

KNMG

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2006
Tacoma
What's the point in keeping venomous period? I guess the same question could be asked about nonvenomous, but why possess something that could kill you? I know there are very beautiful species etc, etc. I have also felt that any procedure done to de-venom a venomous snake, professionally or not is mutilation. They evolved to produce venom for a reason. If you are afraid of the possible consequences then get a cornsnake. Why do you guys who currently keep hots, keep them? I am very curious. I have had a few friends through the years who have kept Mambas to Copperheads and they never really had a concrete answer besides they were gorgeous or it's a species that not many keep. Is there a purpose? Is anyone breeding what they keep? Any insight would be great!

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
KNMG;4852396; said:
What's the point in keeping venomous period? I guess the same question could be asked about nonvenomous, but why possess something that could kill you? I know there are very beautiful species etc, etc. I have also felt that any procedure done to de-venom a venomous snake, professionally or not is mutilation. They evolved to produce venom for a reason. If you are afraid of the possible consequences then get a cornsnake. Why do you guys who currently keep hots, keep them? I am very curious. I have had a few friends through the years who have kept Mambas to Copperheads and they never really had a concrete answer besides they were gorgeous or it's a species that not many keep. Is there a purpose? Is anyone breeding what they keep? Any insight would be great!
Well tecnicly a horse could kill you as well (even to acidentaly). I think there is a niche for venomous keeping in our hobby for many reasons, including species conservation (many hots are endangered and allot of people are keeping animals very rare, even in zoos), human medicine (we need more snakes and other venomous species, including arachnids in the rigth hands, they could provide priceless natural toxins for the relif of MANY diferent human ailments, from Alzeimer to diabetes) and the experience people have gainned privatly in their collections about animal reproduction and husbandry is priceless for the acommplishement of the above tasks. However Im as well for a VERY STRICT regime of legislation under which these animals can be had as pets...actually I dont think anyone having them should just have them as pets, it is a extra responsability for the hot keeper, I beleave every single animal should be a project either of education, conservation, you name it. And Im also for the banning of venomoids as we know them, HOWEVER this is something I have been wanting to say for some time and now its the moment.
We know for fossil, genetic and other evidence that all modern snakes started out as being venomous and slowly most groups lost their toxins (or at least reduced them to a great degree) and lost as well the ability to inject them...ohter groups did the exact oposite and took the use of venom to a new level, those are todays vipers and elaphids. By genetic manipulation of these snakes, we could introduce genes that supress the fang development, venom aparatus and venom itself. We could also introduce genes that influence behaviors. I think its teoricly possible to make for example a designer "gabon viper" completly harmless, without venom glands or fangs and tame as a corn as well...by the cortesy of corn snake genes. A brand new species of snake made by man. I dont know if you guys like genetically modified organisms but in my opinion that would be a cool snake to have and a true venomoid...cost however would be probably insane.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store