More tank pics, updated

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Okay, new hutch for Kong. As usual, he starts showing off when he sees the camera. He started pushing the marimo balls back and forth. The big marimo ball he squished into a pancake. He's loving the extra room...now he can 'stretch out' with his fins in his new digs. The color also makes the tank look brighter inside. For those of you who don't know, Kong is a jumbo sized parrot...he was stuffed into the 8 inch pot and had to bend his tail. The new cannister is 11 inches wide.

View attachment 1361095 View attachment 1361096 View attachment 1361097 View attachment 1361098
Great pics. And the pic of THICC BRICK. In both senses of the word. Nice word play. He is thick and fine.

Your aquarium colors sure jump out really nicely. They are works of art. Right the white Kong quarters pick up and reflect the light and brighten the interior more from previous photos.

I may condition the Pothos to the nutrient richer aquatic environment with ammonia as you said, I did have the roots planted in the substrate previous to it floating free, probably due to excavations from my bottom foragers. The substrate may have been richer than it was used to.
For a long time previous to me even hearing about Pothos growing underwater I had been fertilizing it with waste water from aquarium water changes. I was using the detritus water that came from dredging the substrate.
Could be also the light was weakened by having to penetrate the water. The plant may have been unaccustomed to that. Though the aquatic plants are doing well and even sending out shoots at substrate level.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Great pics. And the pic of THICC BRICK. In both senses of the word. Nice word play. He is thick and fine.

Your aquarium colors sure jump out really nicely. They are works of art. Right the white Kong quarters pick up and reflect the light and brighten the interior more from previous photos.

I may condition the Pothos to the nutrient richer aquatic environment with ammonia as you said, I did have the roots planted in the substrate previous to it floating free, probably due to excavations from my bottom foragers. The substrate may have been richer than it was used to.
For a long time previous to me even hearing about Pothos growing underwater I had been fertilizing it with waste water from aquarium water changes. I was using the detritus water that came from dredging the substrate.
Could be also the light was weakened by having to penetrate the water. The plant may have been unaccustomed to that. Though the aquatic plants are doing well and even sending out shoots at substrate level.
It's an effect of the blue light led over the blue sand, but the cannister is actually aqua blue! I have found an interesting side effect of underwater pothos. All the stems that grow completely submerged are less flexible and easier to crack off. The young shoots are especially vulnerable.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
It's an effect of the blue light led over the blue sand, but the cannister is actually aqua blue! I have found an interesting side effect of underwater pothos. All the stems that grow completely submerged are less flexible and easier to crack off. The young shoots are especially vulnerable.
Lighting, colors, plants,fish look good in your tanks! Interesting indeed about the Pothos submergence side effect. I will watch out for that when I resubmerge Pothos. I was thinking about getting additional lighting for that tank. I may put Pothos in "new" tank. It has a fluorescent hood, and I will put a grow light in it.
Sorry about what is happening with Patch. Ich is yuk! Big pain in the get along. These are the hurdles that sometimes come with the hobby. Better things around the corner.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
You sure had the lion's share of troubles lately, but you have been a trooper and working through them. Warrior lady!

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Working through it...just waiting for the 'fun' part because so far it hasn't been. Feel like I'm running a wet hospital between quarantine fish and a sick Parrot.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
The fun part will come. Friends and relatives coming over and liking your tanks is gratifying. You know sitting back and enjoying and being satisfied with all your hard work is theraputic and relaxing --satisfying after your hard work. And your tanks look great. You were being an emmergency room doctor there for a while.

Despite your complaints, the way you speak of your fish at times, I suspect you are attached to them, even fond of them at times. Cichlids can be a real handful. I have considered rehoming mine. And just keeping my peaceful community fish including my Senegal Dinosaur Eels. You always have that option: rehoming some of your aggressive fish and then getting the fish you want. Once you have a cleaner fish in your tank you will have less chores.

My dinosaur eels like their new tank. They look dwarfed in it. Big angelfish has more places to go. He had canyons and mountains before. That will return soon. I have the substrate in (some of it from other tanks for beneficial bacteria seeding). Water too. I will borrow a filter pad from another of my tanks today. Lots of work--but it:s getting there. It looks good and fish seem happy.

I have a few ornaments and rocks in. Today I bring the rocks and plants in it.

Is Patch showing less discomfort yet? I know it takes a while. I am disinfecting everything with bleach and boiling water. I do a plant bleach dip today. I better get on it. I am also meeting my Mom later for lunch.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
The fun part will come. Friends and relatives coming over and liking your tanks is gratifying. You know sitting back and enjoying and being satisfied with all your hard work is theraputic and relaxing --satisfying after your hard work. And your tanks look great. You were being an emmergency room doctor there for a while.

Despite your complaints, the way you speak of your fish at times, I suspect you are attached to them, even fond of them at times. Cichlids can be a real handful. I have considered rehoming mine. And just keeping my peaceful community fish including my Senegal Dinosaur Eels. You always have that option: rehoming some of your aggressive fish and then getting the fish you want. Once you have a cleaner fish in your tank you will have less chores.

My dinosaur eels like their new tank. They look dwarfed in it. Big angelfish has more places to go. He had canyons and mountains before. That will return soon. I have the substrate in (some of it from other tanks for beneficial bacteria seeding). Water too. I will borrow a filter pad from another of my tanks today. Lots of work--but it:s getting there. It looks good and fish seem happy.

I have a few ornaments and rocks in. Today I bring the rocks and plants in it.

Is Patch showing less discomfort yet? I know it takes a while. I am disinfecting everything with bleach and boiling water. I do a plant bleach dip today. I better get on it. I am also meeting my Mom later for lunch.
Patch is better...last night she looked like a melting parrot with trails of slime hanging off! But all that is gone now. Will ease her temps down to 82 per recommendation.

Kong has rearranged his tank overnight. He has a thing for smashing the marimo balls against the back wall of the tank and spreading sand over them. They look like bean bag chairs instead of balls.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store