More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Okay, ordered a couple of "pots" for Kong and Patch. They are actually kitchen crocks for holding utensils, but since they are food safe the glaze is harmless.

They are Home Essentials Crock Pots...size 12" diameter, 7 1/2" inch depth. Come in many colors. Perfect for bigger fish that need hides. I got two of the aqua color since they are on sale right now on Amazon.

Home Essentials Turino Rings Kitchen Crocks. I actually have a couple already I use for storing things on my dresser. They'll also make cleaning easier since the current pots capture a lot of crud around the edges with the vine covers on.

Green, Orange, Aqua, Yellow, White, Red are the colors.

aqua crock.jpg red crock.jpg yellow crock.jpg white crock.jpg green crock.jpg orange crock.jpg

Last edited:

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I wish my pothos did as well.. my giant red tail gourami eats the roots tho
Wow, sorry to hear that. Yeah, once they eat the roots the plant is doomed unfortunately. Unless there are enough roots to compensate. I'd heard guppies love the roots too. My fish don't seem to bother them.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I had to pull my Pothos from my tank. All though in my experience Pothos does well in medium to mediocre light and even though that tank is well estasblished with lots of nutrients, the leaves were begining to yellow.

I am thinking the tank lights aren't strong enough, although the other aquatic plants in that tank are flourishing--even sending out new shoots at ground level.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I had to pull my Pothos from my tank. All though in my experience Pothos does well in medium to mediocre light and even though that tank is well estasblished with lots of nutrients, the leaves were begining to yellow.

I am thinking the tank lights aren't strong enough, although the other aquatic plants in that tank are flourishing--even sending out new shoots at ground level.
You may have to condition your pothos first...losing leaves at first is normal. When acclimating to water they need strong light. Put it in separate container, add clear ammonia (no soap or suds). And keep it under strong light for 2-3 weeks until roots show. Any bad leaves (splits, holes) snip. It takes time to get roots underwater but once they do it takes off... for amounts of ammonia its posted in the "Pothos Easy Peasy" thread (I don't remember the amounts right now). Use lights especially for plants while conditioning and aeration. It could be that the water is too nutrient rich because they dont have an established root system so they are turning yellow. If they had roots they'd be growing ok.

Are all of the leaves turning yellow at once? If so yeah its too much nutrient to handle without roots

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I wasn't sure if Kong could get out, his tail was turned sideways...hoping to get a pot pic of Patch, assuming she doesn't get stuck.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
You may have to condition your pothos first...losing leaves at first is normal. When acclimating to water they need strong light. Put it in separate container, add clear ammonia (no soap or suds). And keep it under strong light for 2-3 weeks until roots show. Any bad leaves (splits, holes) snip. It takes time to get roots underwater but once they do it takes off... for amounts of ammonia its posted in the "Pothos Easy Peasy" thread (I don't remember the amounts right now). Use lights especially for plants while conditioning and aeration. It could be that the water is too nutrient rich because they dont have an established root system so they are turning yellow. If they had roots they'd be growing ok.

Are all of the leaves turning yellow at once? If so yeah its too much nutrient to handle without roots
I missed the post/question about the pothos when you posted them Friday. Just saw it now.
Yes, the leaves turned yellow all at once. I had read aquatic plant leaves can die back in a new environment and grow new leaves to adjust to new conditions. When I pulled the pothos out of the aquarium, it greened back up almost right away. The plant does have a good root system, and I was growing it in water. It doesn't matter, the tank has an adequate amount of plants in it. I intend to get more. The pothos did look good in there.

Nice fish quarters. I'll bet the cannisters look sharp in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store