More tank pics, updated

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Fun times in the fish room yesterday.

I had to do another breakdown of the 225 to get the now sexually mature juvie hrps out. First to go was Stripey, he-who-hooked-up-with-mom. Next was his brother, a big male with a reddish tail (names later). I hope the one left over is a female!

So after an hour and a half of bumbling during the water change (juvies kept hiding under the other fish, other fish kept huddling around the oscar) I ended up taking fish out to GET THEM OUT OF THE WAY!! My acara Jazz jumped into the net 3 times. I put my biggest feather fin Cash in a bucket because he kept getting in the way too. Next was Pip, my alpha female hrp who jumped in the net when I caught one of her kids. She went in the bucket with Cash.

Boss the BP seemed to have a small gill irritation, so I took the opportunity to give him a salt dip. He's turned PINK with orangish gold eyes. WEIRD. Eventually he'll go back to his usual color you see in the avatar...as for my other parrots Tango is already pink and now Kong is turning pink, wtf. I don't get it.

I also took the opportunity to weigh some fish when I moved them. Will post later.

Not surprisingly the baby hrps that remained in the big tank have outstripped their siblings in size for now. They look like sub adults. The others look like 'teenagers'.

But there's no mistaking Pip. Hot mama is 4 inches flat and chunky. You can also see her top trailer curling. She looks like blue crystal! No wonder the boys are starting to fight. But the Trailer Park is now officially closed. It's amazing how different she looks out of water.

View attachment 1498571
Where the hell did you get that thing??

• Haha
Reactions: FINWIN

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
LOL, the antics continue. For several weeks I've had my male acara Rocky and Hrp Slade in a holding tank together. I had a divider with Rocky getting the larger portion. This morning I go downstairs and discover Rocky had busted the divider and was on Slade's side! He was pretty determined, too...the heater was lifted up. So the two of them seem to be getting along as buds! I figured I may as well remove the bent up divider. This is especially good news since they will be tankmates in the 125. Meanwhile across the room Mongo continues showing his parenting skills. When the juvies start roughhousing too much he herds them around. If the larger ones start hassling their small siblings Mongo jumps in between to protect the small ones. It's really cute. When his work is done he disappears into his quiet space. He peeps out keeping a watchful eye.

Syno Cash is in the tank with them and has settled nicely. It's pretty funny watching him desperately trying to stick on the acrylic walls. He keeps slipping down and can't get a grip so he finally gives up and falls to the bottom. ?

In the main tank Hot mama Pip is at it yet again. There's a clump of eggs in one of the jumbo logs. She and rainbow Salt have been squabbling for 2 days...Salt keeps trying to force his way in there, Pip keeps shoving him out. So Salt just sits in front of the log for hours on end. These fish are stubborn beyond belief!

BP Boss continues to go back and forth in color between blinding orange and frosty/patchy pink. I don't even wonder why...he's like a mood ring with fins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
It's Goon time again.

We're off and running. Syno Spot is currently peeled like a cooked potato...he has a head patch. Hot mama Pip has her HRP crew over on the south side. About 10 of her babies of the second batch (by son Stripey) are putting on nice size. They have their own apartment community inside and around the south side jumbo log.

On the north side Boss the bp has claimed the other big log next to Brick's pit. Ever since I removed severum Corn, Boss has looked more like a faded goldfish than blood parrot. Totally mood related...I guess he feels more lax. Some days he's pink on one side. If you think that sounds weird you should see it. Today he's his normal color (avatar).

Tango has now edged Boss in size and is now the biggest parrot. They've kind of been neck and neck a lot, but Tango recently had a mild growth surge. He's gotten aggressive now when I put my hand in the tank, nipping my fingers. But he's still a goofy wimp. The minute I tap his nose he races to the corner and hides. Time for him to go on a diet again (bottom heavy). He's the only parrot prone to sudden weight gain.

My current queen of chaos Kong often flirts with Tango. He's warmed up to her gradually. Not sure I'd trust the 2 of them in a tank under 90 gallons...Kong's a big female and Tango is a hulking male. Their aggression levels don't line up, so...maybe one day I'll do it with a divider.

Speaking of dividers, Rocky the acara busted his. He and hrp Slade are in a holding tank (waiting on the 125 stand). I never got the impression the two would get along. They were always juking and flaring. So I go downstairs, the divider is bent and busted up, and Rocky and Slade are hanging out like best buds! So they've been good ever since.

Brick being King and going into his fourth year, is now lazy. Or should I say relaxed? He has a huge pit along the back wall and rests behind one of the logs. Nobody gives him a challenge (except bp Boss with a random head butt). Brick pretty much nests in one spot with a few slow loops around the tank. He's still having a good time ripping out the fake hornwort, and it looks like I'll be getting another bush soon. Three more pieces were floating today. Mighty Maw is also getting too good at launching his ball across the room. Sometimes it's near the door. He hit the windowsill once. Twice it was underneath Kong's tank against the baseboard. Sometimes it's on one of the glass lids.

On the opposite wall Tango now rams the lids open on his tank and keeps knocking the stem sideways on the hob filter. So of course the water just goes everywhere instead of a waterfall.

My female acara Jazz has some thug in her. She steals food, especially from Boss...I have a food pouch on a clip that I put blackworm cubes in. Boss will guard the bag and nosh on it. Jazz creeps up and when the parrot turns to block she spins around him, snatches a cube then takes off to gulp it down. The parrot gets pissed but she's too fast to catch. So he waits on her to make another run. When she sneaks up again he grips her lip in a mouth lock which sends her flying. She also steals food from rainbow Salt and he gives chase.

Funny thing, Boss doesn't mind any of the centrals eating from his bag. Salt and Pip come right up and Boss shares with no problem. With the exception of the oscar, Boss has never gotten along with ANY SA cichlids.

The 10 hrp babies play and skitter everywhere...the other 10 were picked off at some point.

Bp Kong pulls the air hose from her sponge filter.

In the 'family' tank, hrp Mongo (Pip's husband) still runs the joint, despite the fact that 3 of his kids are already his rival in size and even taller / thicker. It don't matter...anybody that gets out of line is chased and nipped on the tail by papa. My 9 inch syno Cash is a non factor. If he gets in the way Mongo pops him too. The 3 huge babies may be outliers...they're only 7 months old. Mongo himself is a solid 4 1/2".

Dis message be from Goonville.

ruff.jpg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
It's Goon time again.

We're off and running. Syno Spot is currently peeled like a cooked potato...he has a head patch. Hot mama Pip has her HRP crew over on the south side. About 10 of her babies of the second batch (by son Stripey) are putting on nice size. They have their own apartment community inside and around the south side jumbo log.

On the north side Boss the bp has claimed the other big log next to Brick's pit. Ever since I removed severum Corn, Boss has looked more like a faded goldfish than blood parrot. Totally mood related...I guess he feels more lax. Some days he's pink on one side. If you think that sounds weird you should see it. Today he's his normal color (avatar).

Tango has now edged Boss in size and is now the biggest parrot. They've kind of been neck and neck a lot, but Tango recently had a mild growth surge. He's gotten aggressive now when I put my hand in the tank, nipping my fingers. But he's still a goofy wimp. The minute I tap his nose he races to the corner and hides. Time for him to go on a diet again (bottom heavy). He's the only parrot prone to sudden weight gain.

My current queen of chaos Kong often flirts with Tango. He's warmed up to her gradually. Not sure I'd trust the 2 of them in a tank under 90 gallons...Kong's a big female and Tango is a hulking male. Their aggression levels don't line up, so...maybe one day I'll do it with a divider.

Speaking of dividers, Rocky the acara busted his. He and hrp Slade are in a holding tank (waiting on the 125 stand). I never got the impression the two would get along. They were always juking and flaring. So I go downstairs, the divider is bent and busted up, and Rocky and Slade are hanging out like best buds! So they've been good ever since.

Brick being King and going into his fourth year, is now lazy. Or should I say relaxed? He has a huge pit along the back wall and rests behind one of the logs. Nobody gives him a challenge (except bp Boss with a random head butt). Brick pretty much nests in one spot with a few slow loops around the tank. He's still having a good time ripping out the fake hornwort, and it looks like I'll be getting another bush soon. Three more pieces were floating today. Mighty Maw is also getting too good at launching his ball across the room. Sometimes it's near the door. He hit the windowsill once. Twice it was underneath Kong's tank against the baseboard. Sometimes it's on one of the glass lids.

On the opposite wall Tango now rams the lids open on his tank and keeps knocking the stem sideways on the hob filter. So of course the water just goes everywhere instead of a waterfall.

My female acara Jazz has some thug in her. She steals food, especially from Boss...I have a food pouch on a clip that I put blackworm cubes in. Boss will guard the bag and nosh on it. Jazz creeps up and when the parrot turns to block she spins around him, snatches a cube then takes off to gulp it down. The parrot gets pissed but she's too fast to catch. So he waits on her to make another run. When she sneaks up again he grips her lip in a mouth lock which sends her flying. She also steals food from rainbow Salt and he gives chase.

Funny thing, Boss doesn't mind any of the centrals eating from his bag. Salt and Pip come right up and Boss shares with no problem. With the exception of the oscar, Boss has never gotten along with ANY SA cichlids.

The 10 hrp babies play and skitter everywhere...the other 10 were picked off at some point.

Bp Kong pulls the air hose from her sponge filter.

In the 'family' tank, hrp Mongo (Pip's husband) still runs the joint, despite the fact that 3 of his kids are already his rival in size and even taller / thicker. It don't matter...anybody that gets out of line is chased and nipped on the tail by papa. My 9 inch syno Cash is a non factor. If he gets in the way Mongo pops him too. The 3 huge babies may be outliers...they're only 7 months old. Mongo himself is a solid 4 1/2".

Dis message be from Goonville.

View attachment 1501692
What?

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Go back to the first page and start catching up! You have pages upon pages of fish drama to read about ? this is our version of fish daytime soap tv show. I like this better than General Hospital btw Hybridfish7 Hybridfish7

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store