More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I cleaned the tank and Bobo's wound. Here she is curled in the bucket. I picked her up and she was pretty calm, stretching her fins out. I had to use both hands.

bobobucket.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I've just finished with the peroxide and antibiotic gel here. Her wound is up top so you can't see it. It's a circle about 1/8 inch in size. So I figured I would measure her...she's creeping up on 11 inches. She is bulkier now than when I weighed her last year.

boboside.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Update on Bobo. She sprouted a patch of fungus on her head overnight at the wound site. I've started treatment with Sulfaplex. The good news is she doesn't seem too bothered by it right now.

In other news, I placed a third log in the main tank. This one is the large size. I took it out awhile ago but put it back to stop the endless squabbling. I mostly put it in there for my female acara Jazz. Well she took one look at it and decided she still wanted the jumbo log. This set off another round of fights with the parrot Boss. Then Salt the rainbow got involved since he shares one of the xl logs with Boss. Pip and her crew tried to take advantage of the situation but kept getting chased out.

Boss, who has taken greed to the next level tried to claim the third log as well. The only reason he hasn't is because he can't fit. He can only go inside the jumbo logs. Things have finally settled down with Boss guarding two logs and Jazz guarding one. She still charges headlong at him but he headbangs her stopping everything cold.

It took him three days but Brick managed to uproot and move a plant I secured under two boulders. :irked:

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Health information on Bobo the chocolate is in the disease thread.

I can't save her. She's dying and likely will be gone by the end of the day. This morning she looked terrible even though her wound improved. All washed out and gray with stripes, eyes gray around the pupils. Her gills are moving a little but that's it. When the eyes change color they're done.

I'm just kind of hating fishkeeping right now. First Patch, then Pepper, now Bobo. Year 3 has been a bad number (although with Pepper it was likely attack or injury).

When Dr. Carr mentioned that lymph can form cysts on internal organs all I could think of was Patch and "not again." The lymph could also have been masquerading as a cancerous issue. Those of you that follow this journal know Bobo has struggled with stress related health issues since 2020. Stress caused by my Oscar Brick and blood parrot Boss. She was moved over a year ago and seemed ok. Outside issues and tank juggling forced me to give her temporary tankmates while the 125 was on order. She was housed with hrp Mongo which didn't work out. When I had to move my severum Corn from the 225 things were a bit rocky but settled down. If anything Bobo was the aggressor but for the most part no issues. The plan was to have the 2 of them in the 125 with other fish but now the stand is delayed due to illness in the shipping company. So they were tankmates longer than I wanted. There were some recent warning signs that concerned me, the sudden appearance of fin rot and another lymph node showing up on a gill. This one had red around it. This despite total water changes each day. I moved her to a treatment bucket yesterday to better control bacteria in the water column.

It was painfully clear Bobo could only thrive being alone but that would be problematic. I posted this in the disease section but will repeat here what Dr. Carr said:

"That is one large open wound / burst cyst. I assume Bobo's chronic lympho is Lymphocystis or an iridovirus infection. If you are referring to something else please let me know. If it is lympocystis then there is not a lot you can do. Keep the area clean to prevent secondary infections (bacterial or fungal) and give her time for her body to fight off the virus. As you know it takes several weeks for the body to clear the virus. Episodes can worsen with stress or be brought about by stress. I know you pay very close attention to your babies, but if there is any inter-fish tension or other stressors those should be addressed. If the lesion is progressing it could have become infected. The Sulfa antibiotic she is on is appropriate. If that is not working we can consider using a metronidazole based antibiotic or do a culture swab of the area and check for other bacteria or fungus. We can also try and confirm this is lymphocystis with skin swabs / cytology of the cysts. It's good that she is acting normally, but I understand why you would be concerned about the loss of appetite. The virus is known to cause cysts on internal organs. If she has any of those, depending on where they are it could be causing her discomfort or affecting her appetite. It is also possible that there is some other disease process that is masquerading as Lymphocystis. Other possible causes of that lesion include parasites (Epistylis), Epitheliocystis (intracellular bacterial infection), or some cancers. If this is significantly different from her previous episodes we may want to do further testing."
How long has this episode been? How many episodes has she had in the past and how long were those episodes? How long has she been on the Sulfaplex? Are there any other fish in that tank or in your collection that have Lymphocystis or similar signs? "

I will still send the information I have to her. I plan to get a couple of fancy parrot morphs down the road when things settle down. Maybe another rainbow cichlid too. Maybe another choco. We'll see. In two weeks one small cyst bursts and now she's done. This hobby can be really cruel at times. I don't even want to go downstairs but I know I have to.

All the other fish are doing well so I'll focus on that.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m so sorry. It sucks, especially when it all happens at once. That seems to always be the case though - either everything goes horrible or really well.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
It's official. Bobo is now hanging out somewhere with her buddy Pepper and Patch the diva. Twisted fate she actually colored up and her eyes turned gold again. The water was almost hot and so was she when I lifted her out. No doubt she had a bad body full of issues.

Bobo's final stats: 10 1/2" and 1lb. 1.2 oz. She'd lost weight from last year at 1lb 4 oz. I've compiled her health history that I will send to Dr.Carr for informational use. Despite appearance she didn't have an especially strong immune system and was just too sensitive to stress and environment. The only way she could survive was by being alone with one exception, Pepper the rainbow. They were inseparable and Pepper would 'protect' her.

Timeline

12/20- as a sub adult (6-8") she had bouts of milky slime coat and ick in a community cichlid tank. Treated with Ick-x, Vtamin C pharmacutical grade and salt (whole tank). Had scrapes/missing scales from flashing. 3 weeks treatment. Was removed to isolation for a time.
2/21- started sloughing sheets of slime coat after water changes. Seemed to resolve itself after 2 months. used salt.
7/21 lympho, ick over eye/head. Moved to separate tank permanently
7/22-8/22 removed temporary tankmates (stress)
9/1 Pimple suddenly appears on head, cone shaped
9/8 two new pimples on head break off, wound around 1/8 inch. swabbed wound with peroxide and anti bac gel
9/9 start of head fungus, treatment sulfaplex. Turned off heater.
9/10-11 open wound erupts over entire head and down toward eyes 2 treatments sulfaplex ineffective against fungus
9/11 wound starts to turn white, less pink area
9/13 start treatment with salt, epsom salt, kanaplex and vitamin c
9/14 massive bacteria bloom in tank, white goo at surface, white tufts on glass, goo in filter
same treatment continued with total water changes
9/16 stopped kanaplex, not effective fungus constantly recurring/sloughing off. Early stage fin rot on tail, trailer and top fin. Less fungus but still recurring. Wound pretty clean with no pink area on head. Lymph spot erupts on gill with a circle of red at the base. Treatment started with Ocean Free fungal/antibacterial medication.
9/17 morning Bobo in extremely poor condition. Pale and weak. Not eating since 9/1. Head still shows some fungus. Pimple on gill appears to have burst.
9/17 died early in afternoon.

I'm learning more than I care to about fish diseases. Just wish it would stop being so costly.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm so very sorry for your loss FINWIN FINWIN . It is even more poignant given that I wouldn't have my choc if it wasn't for Bobo. :rip

You've had such rotten luck lately and I was wondering if all your troubles have been pure coincidence, or whether something is amiss.

I know you fondly refer to your cichlid set up as "goon city", and we've all read your stories in this thread regarding the daily antics that your fish get up to.

We all look on their daily activity/shenanigans light heartedly, but what if there was some serious stress going on between the fish? Not necessarily manifesting itself in pure violence between the fish, but just a slow burning type stress, which ultimately led to health problems? We all know what stress leads to in fish.

I dunno. Just trying to offer something at this sad time, so that moving forward you don't have to go through the heartache and expense again.

Reactions: FINWIN and Deadeye

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I'm so very sorry for your loss FINWIN FINWIN . It is even more poignant given that I wouldn't have my choc if it wasn't for Bobo. :rip

You've had such rotten luck lately and I was wondering if all your troubles have been pure coincidence, or whether something is amiss.

I know you fondly refer to your cichlid set up as "goon city", and we've all read your stories in this thread regarding the daily antics that your fish get up to.

We all look on their daily activity/shenanigans light heartedly, but what if there was some serious stress going on between the fish? Not necessarily manifesting itself in pure violence between the fish, but just a slow burning type stress, which ultimately led to health problems? We all know what stress leads to in fish.

I dunno. Just trying to offer something at this sad time, so that moving forward you don't have to go through the heartache and expense again.
No, I get what you're saying. It's why I removed Bobo over a year ago from the main tank. I saw the writing on the wall. Losing Pepper was out of nowhere, really. And Patch was in her own tank due to aggression. All of the parrots are in separate tanks for this reason...it's also why I moved Corn (severum) out of the 225 because he was starting to piss off the Oscar which would get him beat up or dead. The fish in the tank now do mostly posturing with no damage. Its been follow the bouncing tanks for months. Once the 125 stand gets here I can place the most compatible ones in it. Tango would work in a community tank because he's only aggressive around other parrots.

This just makes me tired and frustrated to be honest. For all I know Bobo could've had cancer too now that I know lymph attaches itself to organs. It was bizarre how nothing stopped the fungus once it got started. She wouldn't eat either which was suspect. The picture of her with the ruler is about the last day she ate. I have to reset mentally. I really hate the word 'cyst'. I'm also questioning the effectiveness of kanaplex and sulfaplex because results for me have been mixed at best. One thing I noticed about Bobo's fungus was that when she first got it there were a couple of strings from it. Anyone chime in if this means something. I'll take scraps at this point.

So I had two large female cichlids (in year 3) succumbing to bacteria/fungus/cysts/ cancer. I don't get it. Both died early in the afternoon on a weekend. Seriously, wtf is going on here.

Wideglide04

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2022
NE Alabama
So sorry to hear, that was a gorgeous fish. You seem very devoted to them which makes it even harder. I think I may be dealing with the same issue with my BP, Happy, since he's my favorite its almost enuff to consider calling quits if he doesn't get better...
2 days ago his left nostril looked like a big white pimple and I'm not sure what to do other than wc's. I'm not very experienced with fish sickness so fingers crossed. Going to try a few things as you have and hope for the best, we have no one near by to contact since their just fish in everyone's eyes in my area.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
So sorry to hear, that was a gorgeous fish. You seem very devoted to them which makes it even harder. I think I may be dealing with the same issue with my BP, Happy, since he's my favorite its almost enuff to consider calling quits if he doesn't get better...
2 days ago his left nostril looked like a big white pimple and I'm not sure what to do other than wc's. I'm not very experienced with fish sickness so fingers crossed. Going to try a few things as you have and hope for the best, we have no one near by to contact since their just fish in everyone's eyes in my area.
Can you show a pic? Sounds like you may catch whatever is going on early. I'm kinda depressed about Bobo so I'll help if I can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store