More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
So...yesterday I spent some time clearing Patch's tank...the amount of eggs she laid was astounding. There was a mound nearly the size of her body, not to mention eggs on the glass, eggs scattered in the sand. She must feel light as a feather after dropping all that! I have no idea where she packs them.

Tango update! He has a new, larger apartment. He was simply getting too big for the smaller holding tank. As always, pics included.

My first acrylic tank. Yay! It's a SeaClear Show tank. Have to admit, I'm loving this acrylic tank...and it doesn't seem as scratchable as a lot of hysterical information out there seems to say. The SeaClear tanks are reasonably priced compared to the competition...Clear for Life has outrageous prices, even worse for the Uniquariums. There's other brands also crazy priced. Only drawback is the "framed top" acrylic tanks require. Restricts some types of deco unless the tank is huge. Its also a pain when you have mulitple devices through the openings. One flaw: the center piece that covers the openings bows upwards almost immediately. Good luck trying to flatten it out. Fortunately for me its not a deal killer. I can slide pellets / foods in without removing it all the time.

Love the metal stand by Caitec TitanEzeDouble. It's so easy to assemble you don't need instructions (nor do they provide any). No tools are needed either. Double stand frame. I had it up in 5 minutes, easy peasy. They have these stands up to a 75 gallon double. Since the tank is acrylic a support board was added. The metal frame has a center bar. I painted the board edges black to give a clean look on the stand. Board is 3/4" pine. I also did a test of both light modes, white and RGB. There are 8 dimmer settings, and a timer. The COODIA strip is aluminum. The dimmest setting is truly dim, which is hard to find in a lot of these LED lights. I love the versatility. I removed the corner frame caps to eliminate any gap areas. The board is sized to cover the whole frame.

Filtration is 90 aqueon with ceramic bio media, filter floss and cut sponge prefilter. 2 airstones stacked in corner. I''m running the current sponge corner filter for a bit to help seed the bacteria, as well as mixed in some old sand. I also like that the white light is perfectly neutral, neither greenish nor blueish.

All done! Tango has done some decorating. He didn't like the bushy plants and shoved them everywhere, knocking them down. So I got his favorite plants and now he's happy. Tango is my only parrot that's camera shy so it's tough getting a clean shot. The minute the camera comes out he darts behind something. Pretty funny considering how big he's gotten! Then he''ll come out and dance.

Corners.jpg

Board.jpg

Base stand.jpg

Coodia light.jpg

White light.jpg

RGB setting.jpg

Tango tank.jpg

Tango 1.jpg

Tango 2.jpg

Tango 3.jpg

Reactions: Galactik and ad88

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Some updates

The flood damaged wood stand is getting picked up today, along with some other junk. Waiting for the invoice on my new stand. I'll be ordering the Aquariums for Life aluminum stand in natural granite color through Custom Aquariums.

Everyone is doing ok in their temporary tubs but since they can't swim nearly as much I've cut back on the pellets...Boss the Sumo parrot was turning into Boss the GRAND Sumo parrot. Even Chip started chunking up. So, diet.

My Oscar Brick has adjusted to the tub but he can't recognize me in it, so he basically tries to bite me when I come near the surface. We'll have to be friends again later.

My surviving catfish Cash is doing well. He tucks up underneath Chip and wears the Severum like a blanket. For those of you who didn't follow my "Emergency" thread, Rex is gone...when I had a flood two weeks ago the stand got damaged and I put all the fish in a bathtub temporarily. I found him stuffed into a sponge tube with severe injuries. Cloudy and bloody eyes, skin scrubbed, tail bone nearly bitten off, bloody clots on his belly and out his anus. It happened at night and the list of suspects is short. He grew to about 7 1/2 " and 1 1/2" inch girth.

So maybe a blue acara or firemouth will be added to the big tank later on when everything is set up again.

All of the pothos and marimo balls are now destroyed by the fish...I have new pothos that will go in when everything is up and running.

Pics of eggs, courtesy of Patch. Her belly was nearly dragging the bottom she had such a load. Sloppy as hell, eggs all over everything, even the jumbo airstone. The other side of the airstone is completely covered. Give me a break, girlfriend: ?

eggs 1.jpg

eggs 2.jpg

Last edited:

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I'm still waiting on the new aluminum/steel stand for the 225, so the main tank isn't back up yet. (See "Emergency" thread if you don't know what I'm talking about) Everyone is doing fine in totes. My O BRICK is still in the bathtub downstairs.

Meanwhile here are a couple of recent pics of TANGO. He's getting incredibly tall with a rounded belly and is bulking up. His body almost looks like orange ice. Fins are practically "Sheer". He's developed a pretty orange patch on his head.

Most surprising are his eyes. They're losing the 'double dot' appearance. The upper rims are turning gold now. So his irises look more conventional...he has 'big eyes' similar to PATCH but they don't sit out like hers.

Tango 1.jpg

Tango 2.jpg

Reactions: ad88

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Big surprise.

There may be a measurement update on BRICK. I did a fin level w/c in the tub (forcing him to lay on his side) so I figured cool, I'll measure him. Seems as though my 11 inch Oscar is no longer 11 inches...:clap

Will check again what I discovered and will post when he's back in the main tank.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Meanwhile, more pics of TANGO. He surprised me by cooperating and not hiding. Typical unpredictable parrot! Like BOSS, he's a "peeper." The marbles you see at the bottom are 1" for size reference. He's really getting huge! Because his body is tall its hard to get a good angle that shows it correctly. His tank is in my office so he likes to watch the TV while I'm working.

Tango 1.jpg

Tango 2.jpg

Tango 3.jpg

Tango 4.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hot news!

Went to my LFS today...got a beautiful young chocolate cichlid. He looks like a young long fin O! His name is BOBO. He's around 7" TL but about 3" is tail fin! He does that "Oscar eyeball" thing and is settling in nicely in QT. With him is another catfish, SPIKE. SPIKE is around 5-6" and has a beautiful jaguar like pattern on his body. I was told he's another variation of Syno, but he has a horizontal striped tail! He has a high fin, but it isn't "feathery" like the one CASH has.

The store also had GIANT clown loaches...and I mean BIG. A whole cluster! It was a madhouse...a guy bought 2 large devils and a texas. Then they brought in a massive pearsi and plunked it in a tank.

Since I'm waiting to set up the main tank this seemed like a good time to add to my stock. They'll be through some QT by the time the new stand arrives.

Speaking of Oscars, my goofball BRICK finds new ways to amuse himself while in the bathtub. Now he's turning OVER the air disks so the bubbles can't rise. At least he isn't smashing them against the walls anymore.

Pics coming soon. :grinyes:

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Ok, SPIKE is now gone. He took a flying leap from the QT tank last night despite it having a cover. That's 2 synos in 2 weeks. Found him dried like bacon next to the tank.

*growls* headed back to the LFS they've got plenty more. Meanwhile, some foggy pics of my new Chocolate Cichlid BOBO. Poor quality but he didn't like too much bright light right now.

About 7" TL and 4" SL. About 2" tall. He looks like a long fin tiger O and eats like one! Polished off 10 large Hikari pellets this morning.

BOBO 1.jpg

BOBO 2.jpg

BOBO 3.jpg

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Ok, SPIKE is now gone. He took a flying leap from the QT tank last night despite it having a cover. That's 2 synos in 2 weeks. Found him dried like bacon next to the tank.

*growls* headed back to the LFS they've got plenty more. Meanwhile, some foggy pics of my new Chocolate Cichlid BOBO. Poor quality but he didn't like too much bright light right now.

About 7" TL and 4" SL. About 2" tall. He looks like a long fin tiger O and eats like one! Polished off 10 large Hikari pellets this morning.

View attachment 1394807

View attachment 1394808

View attachment 1394809
My Chocolate has beautiful fins like yours, but mine has a Higher profile or a steeper forehead.

Reactions: FINWIN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store