More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Its funny how fish, like people develop new habits with environment change. Patch loves her new Pothos canopy and rests in the roots, often sleeping there. She'll hang in the roots suspended while watching the main tank. Or lay on her side in a floating bed, its really cute.

Patch 1.jpg

Patch 2.jpg

Patch 3.jpg

Patch 4.jpg

Patch 5.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
This is the aftermath of the wood stand saga from other threads. Very pleased with the new steel/aluminum stand from Custom Aquariums. After the main tank was ready I placed Boss in first for about an hour. Chip and Cash were next, with the Oscar Brick going in last later on in the day. Ended up taking a bath (courtesy of my O) and had about two gallons of water to mop up, no thanks to him. I had him in a trout net and braced it with my other arm so he couldn't flop around. That worked until I got him in the water.

Once I had the main tank up and running I could see the effect of a large canopy on the fish. Particulary Boss, one of my blood parrots. He's gone from claiming one side of the tank to pretty much 3/4, including a portion of Brick's side. The extra hideaway spaces I made for Chip he's claimed as well...it's nuts. He swims with Brick a lot now. I'm hoping when the chocolate cichlid is introduced it will help Chip out (Bobo goes in next week. The syno Spot I'll wait on a bit more). Since parrots love to hide and love shaded areas the most this seems to appeal to Boss. He explores the entire tank leisurely now. Which brings me to Chip, my Severum. I've documented in other threads the ludicrous aggression of my severum, who gets banged around yet wants to be alpha. He would lose every fight and come back for more. Six weeks separated in totes has changed nothing.

So for the first few hours a bizarre reversal took place. Chip chased Boss, nudged and pushed him all over the tank. Boss seemed to tolerate it but did nothing. Chip even took over the Pvc cave I made for the parrot, chasing him out and away. Then something weird happened. After I plunked the Oscar in everyone swam together for a bit. I left the room for a few minutes to clean out the totes they were in.

Came back to see Chip getting a complete and thorough butt whooping by Boss. Up, down and sideways. The parrot gripped him in a mouth lock and shook him around like a sack of potatoes. Chip took off. No good. Boss chased him to the point where the Oscar stepped in. Made no difference. Once the parrot had his sights set on the Severum nothing was going to stop him, not even my ever growing O (more on that later). So its been payback ever since. This is a different level of aggression I'm seeing towards the Severum (kinda like I've had it with your s+++.) But just like before, Chip started the 'war'. Then his dizzy brain made him attack the Oscar (that got ugly quick). So now he's racing away from everybody except the catfish. The parrot has been unrelenting since. Now, Chip won't go inside the Pvc cave even if Boss is on the other side of the tank...he'll just sit outside. One look at the parrot and he freaks. I'm waiting for things to settle down and so far it has somewhat. It's basically a reset while everyone gets established again. Chip has a slightly swollen lip, btw.

On to the pics:

Boss poses in front of his new Pvc house. I'm thinking about bumping up to 8" diameter down the road. Maybe drill a couple of holes for a 'skylight' effect.

Boss 2.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Boss guards his primary house. He's just run Chip out and makes sure he keeps going. I put a branch shelter cave on the opposite side of the tank as a getaway for Chip. Unfortunately Boss took that over as his second house. Glass is a bit dirty here.

Boss on guard.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Brick had another growth spurt while in the bathtub for 5 weeks. There were water changes every 2 days. The hollow log is a favorite piece of all the fish, they like to swim through and rest around it like a shelter. Oddly enough all of Brick's dark pigmentation hasn't returned yet despite being in the tank for about 4 days, most noticeably on his fin edges. The bottom fins are getting black edges but not the top ones yet. He's been fighting his reflection at record pace and made a sandstorm that blew all the pothos to one side of the tank. Temps were a bit low so I raised them slightly. All of the fish had a growth spurt from the constant w/cs while in tubs. New numbers coming.

Brick 1.jpg

Brick 3.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store