most expensive fish ever

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Yeah 3600 for a conspic isnt awful, if you wanna see crazy expensive look up the ballina angel. Chaetodontoplus ballinae, it lives among the conspiculatus but has a very small breeding population so the fish is rarely seen. When seen it usually goes for $70,000-$75,000.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

$3,000(not 3,600) for a Conspic is pretty high. It was more than even DD normally sells them for however because it was a small specimen. Almost all Conspics that come in are 6-7 inches or more and this one was smaller(5 inches I believe).

Ballinae angels are not legal to sell because they only inhabit a small area around Ball's Pyramid near South Wales. They are actually quite abundant in the area, but they only live in that small area. The area is double protected, because Ball's pyramid(very small island that is literally a sharp pointed rock coming out of the water) is protected and so is a very large area around it which is near Lord Howe Island. On top of that double protection, the species itself is protected so I don't know where you would have seen one for sale.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Thats nothing comparied to the the Platinuim Arowana and Gold Arowanas in Singapore which can costs up to $550,000 and as little as $80,000
Everyone always talks about these, but someone show me where someone actually bought one for sale in this price range. The only one I have ever heard of over 500,000 was because it was owned by a company and it was basically publicity to tell people that they would only sell it for that.

(disclaimer:I am prepared to be proven wrong with the above statements, but fell until I see evidence that everything I have seen has just been publicity with no substance and that these fish rarely(or never) go for anywhere close to these prices.)

plecostic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
USA
There's always a sucker somewhere who will pay more the $5 for a fish.:ROFL:

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There's always a sucker somewhere who will pay more the $5 for a fish.:ROFL:
Well considering all saltwater fish are more than 5 dollars except some chromis and damsels we are all suckers...

THEcreep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
North Jersey
$3,000(not 3,600) for a Conspic is pretty high. It was more than even DD normally sells them for however because it was a small specimen. Almost all Conspics that come in are 6-7 inches or more and this one was smaller(5 inches I believe).

Ballinae angels are not legal to sell because they only inhabit a small area around Ball's Pyramid near South Wales. They are actually quite abundant in the area, but they only live in that small area. The area is double protected, because Ball's pyramid(very small island that is literally a sharp pointed rock coming out of the water) is protected and so is a very large area around it which is near Lord Howe Island. On top of that double protection, the species itself is protected so I don't know where you would have seen one for sale.
They're not illegal, protected but not illegal. I saw one on a tranship list a fewyears ago and wholesale was around 60 to 70 thousand. Pretty sure it went to blue reef or whatever its called, a shop in japan. Clarion angels are heavily prtected but not illegal ive seen around 5 in the last 10 years or so and they were all legit, paperwork and all.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
They're not illegal, protected but not illegal. I saw one on a tranship list a fewyears ago and wholesale was around 60 to 70 thousand. Pretty sure it went to blue reef or whatever its called, a shop in japan. Clarion angels are heavily prtected but not illegal ive seen around 5 in the last 10 years or so and they were all legit, paperwork and all.

So if they are protected and you aren't allowed to collect one, how do you legally possess one?

It is Blue Harbor.

I know the Clarions that have been collected have been outside of the protected areas where they normally reside. I guess Ballinae could be the same, but there is such a huge area around where they live that is protected that I am struggling to believe this. Also, I have never seen anything mentioning anyone having them, pictures of them, or anything that wasn't in the ocean. I know a few were collected for scientific research, but that's it.

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
but still that price ridiculous for a single butterfly

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
look at the price tag on some of the platinum fish...or super gold asian aros...much more than that.
That's just ridiculous! I wouldn't pay that much for a car! WOW!!

EDIT: Should have read the rest of the thread before getting outraged...holy cow!! Some of those numbers are insane!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store