Most important things to look at when purchasing a filter?

andrewred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2012
Toronto
So I'm going to be purchasing a second filter to put on my 125 gallon aquarium ( 2 oscars, 1 jack dempsy, 1 green terror, 2 parrots) and wanted to get some input on what filter I should be looking at, and more importantly the most important features I should be checking out so I can make my own informed decision. I already have an Eheim Ultra G160-2075 Pro, and have been reading a lot of threads and specs on filters, but to be honest I feel like I'm misunderstanding what to look for. For example, I see people comparing an Eheim 2217 as an equivalent to a Fluval 406, but when looking at a spec like the GPH, the fluval blows the eheim outta the water. Also, would it make sense to make the second filter just a mechanical filtration system, or is it still a good idea to keep bio media in there aswell?
Anyway, any help on making my decision would be awesome.
Cheers!

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
be careful most manufacturers post pump gph with no media and no head. ehiem is about the only one that does actual flow. for example my marineland c530 canister pump does 530gph, and setup with minimal media they include its down to 360gph with 2' of head. actual flow loaded and at 3' head is say is prob 250-300gph

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
if you want to go pure mech. then a big hob would work well ...at less cost... ac110 comes to mind....:popcorn: GOOD LUCK....

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I have a FX5 and a sump on my 120, tank stays super clean and is normally over crowded. Would advise getting on to add for amazing filtration. Maintenance on your system will be easy and great. I know its overkill but super nice. And when you upgrade your set.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

andrewred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2012
Toronto
I just found a pretty good deal on a new FX5 and would be stoked to have one, but I have a couple of concerns. Do you guys think that its overkill and worth the extra money compared to say a fluval 406 or eheim 2217 given the filter I already have. And another question is, does anyone who owns one know if this is an energy hog and will cost me a pretty penny each month?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I have a fx5, 2217, and 2075. The eheims are best on tanks under 50g. The 2075 is easiest to clean by a long shoot, you could easily use it for mechanical and the fx5 for bio.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I keep bio in all my canisters, which enables to me to setup a new tank in a snap. Gph is one factor but honestly the 3 most important factors for me are 1) media volume 2) how easy they are to hide in the tank scape ( I hate seeing any pluming in the tank) 3) ease of maintenance. The last one is the most important to me because certain canisters are just a pita to clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store