Most lucrative fish to breed?

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
I would think Rays the most profitable until someone breeds ST!!!
This market is becoming very saturated already...Many many nice black ray pups looking for homes right now. And a LOT goes into breeing rays for profit vs breeing as hobby.

Mike

ck986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
NJ
I breed yellow labs and demasoni cichlids. I sell them on CL monthly, but I practically give them away. I sell them for $2-3 each at 1/2-1". The yellow labs grow to an inch quickly, but the demasoni go at half as they grow slower. Demasoni are very much sought after Compared to yellow labs. I also have pearlmuts but I haven't sold any yet, I cannot get the mother to hold more than 15. I think she gets scared when I strip her and eats or spits some fry in my main tank. I don't make alot but it's an easy 80-100$ a month to support one of my hobbies.

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
Shipping 4000 fry at 25 cents each works out fairly well... Once it becomes routine especially.

Mike
A 25 cent feeder is not a fry. It's more like a year old. Without the large dirt pond and constantly irrigated water, it will not grow up fast and be profitable. It is a whole industry like raising cows and chickens. Good Luck.

sirdavidofdiscus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
Kent, OHIO
Personally I'd go with angels. They breed fairly easily, and around here there always seems to be a demand. Of Course you'd only get $2 a piece. But on the plus side they don't need monster tanks just a lot of grow out tanks. They'll lay eggs 3x a month.

TaratronVaeVictus

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
Peoria, AZ, USA
You are looking for a fish that is easy to trigger to spawn, but rare enough that the market isn't rolling in them. Bristlenose plecos are pretty good for the former, but I sell mine to a local pet store too. On Aquabid, you see bags of them going for nothing. Also some of the harder to get killifish and livebearers go nuts in those circles, but are you breeding for certain people, or for the average aquarist who likes pretty fish?

The latter won't care what strain guppy you have, just that it's purple. The fishkeeper will want to know the parent strain, if the strain breeds true, age, etc.

caoder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Montreal
A 25 cent feeder is not a fry. It's more like a year old. Without the large dirt pond and constantly irrigated water, it will not grow up fast and be profitable. It is a whole industry like raising cows and chickens. Good Luck.

depends on what you are breeding as the feeders. he, if you've seen his threads, actually breed tilapia as feeder fish lol and that seems to be working out ok.

dovii 1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2011
uk
two electric blue dempseys will not breed true. you will get no ebjd its a lot more coplicated than that trust me iv breed thousands!

HokieFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Norf Cackalacky
With good water, Discus could be an option as well. If you plan on making anything from selling cichlids make sure you establish a family history. Pictures of the parents, pics of the fry and any grow outs. This is good info to have for buyers. Zebra plecos are super expensive, so if that works it would definately be worth it, but that is a big IF. I would suspect you would need several specimens to find a breeding pair and I've seen them going for well over $300 a piece right now, so plan on sinking a lot of money into them up front. Other rarer but less expensive could also be an option. Royal Plecos, Gold Nugget Plecos, Mango Plecos, Goldy Plecos just to name a few all get a pretty good return on fry if you can breed them. Same with a Flowerhorn and Discus. It's going to take a lot of money up front to get a good breeding pair.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Really much depends on what is the "IN" fishes around your area, unless you are shipping. Do ask around your LFS and fish clubs if any.
Over here, arowanas and plecos are famous but more and more people are getting interested in oddballs such as bichirs and gars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store