Motoro Questions

JamieC77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2006
Indiana
I just got a Motoro last Sat. and I kept the lights off for a few days b/c he kept burying himself but it will be a week tomorrow and he still hides a lot and barley moves unless it is completely dark. The last stingray I had was an Atlantic and he never quit moving. Is this normal that he doesn't move a lot? Also I just tried feeding black worms today and he acted like he didn't even see them. Is there a certain way you are supposed to feed rays black worms? Thank you for any advise!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I've had motoros that would barely move, and I've had some that won't move at all. I'd give it some time. How big is it? What was it eating prior to you getting it? I'd try to target the animal using a turkey baster or something similar. Try chopped up earthworms as well.

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
Jamie, I think we need some more info on your ray. Is he eating anything? what size tank is he in? what are the water parameters? Are there other fish in the tank that might be picking on the ray? What is the temp in the tank? rays are more active in warmer water 84 or 85 degrees. Those type of questions need to be answered, as far as the activity level of thes rays they tend to stay buried for a while, then are active for a while at least that is my experience.

JamieC77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2006
Indiana
The tank is a 120 and his only tank mates are an 10 inch aro, an 8 inch parron shark, and a 6 inch lima shovelnose. They don't usually even go near him b/c he is always hidden. He about 5 or 6 inches across his disk. The temp. is at 82. He was eating pellets and nightcrawlers that I know of b4 I got him. I have tried beefheart cubes but he didn't seem interested. He eats choped up nightcrawlers right now and occasionally some pellets. I tested the water par. when I got him and they were fine, but I'm gonna go test them again, I'll post in a min. when I find out.

JamieC77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2006
Indiana
I have zero nitirte and so is my ammonia, but my nitrate is a little high so I am going to do a water change in the morning when I can get some RO water. I have always heard that a good pH is a steady pH I have never been told a specific pH so I bought the Aqualog Special on stingrays and it says between 6.5 and 7.0 and mine is at 7.6 so will pH reducer harm my ray or is there another way?

DRONE017E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Queens NYC
a good ph would be on the acidic side 6.5 around there, also it might be to much light, try dimming the tank,or buy some fake floating plants. I find whe the light is dimmer my rays a re more active. congrats on the ray and good luck

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
Don't worry about 7.6 ph if it is a motoro they can easily handle it. i wouldn't use a ph reducer personally. If he is eating chopped up worms then stick with it until he gets some size to him.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
no offense, but 6" disc is some decent size. mines only 4" and he's so crazy. but i guess its all on the individual motoro. some are scared, some are crazy. mine doesn't like when i feed only a lil bit cuz then there might not be enough for him, so he pounces on ALL the food and hides it under his disc til hes ready for it. if u want him to stop hiding, try removing ur sand. bare bottom is easiest to keep clean, easiest to feed on cuz you can see all the food. nowhere for any bad stuff to hide. ur tank is always perfect. and your motoro cant hide lol

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I would leave the sand. Just because it makes it easier for us doesnt make it better for the fish. They hide for a reason. If you take that option away it will cause more stress IMO. I had a retic that hid for a week or two untill it got used to the tank and now it's fine (read:Never hides). Motoros sould be able to adjust more quickly.
I would also leave your water where it is. Stability is most important. How did you acclimate the ray?

More importantly....where did you get it?:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store