Motoro Questions

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
:iagree: first and formost I would just give him time. Work with the fish and give him what he will eat. If you are wanting to vary the diet mix in differnt foods with what he will eat.
I would never mess with the water parameters artificially, if you want to change them use wood to soften the waters. The last thing you want is to be constently struggeling with chemistry.
Give him time and make sure they are warm enough and soon enough he will come around.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Your pH is good. Ammonia will bother them, so keep it low. I would just wait on it. Keep feeding it foods you know it will eat.

JamieC77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2006
Indiana
Thanks everybody, it really helps hearing everone's own experience. He is definatly more active with no light I kept it off for a week and was hoping to be able to turn it on again so I could see him better but if its what he likes I'll give it to him. I ordered him fome a vendor from my lfs that I used to work at. Don't attack me :eek: cause I have heard a lot of different opinions on how to acclamate them but his water felt pretty cold so I let him float for like 40 min. then I let him out. This is how I have always done it open for any suggestions.:grinno:

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Next time you my float and add some of your tank water at the same time (slowly) It could have been stressed.

We still need pix though lol

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
its your first ray, so you can't really say thats how you always acclimate them. that works for regular fish but rays are way more sensitive. they need to be drip acclimated for a few hours if possible. i did mine for about 3 hours. floating does nothing but match the temps, drip gets the water conditions pretty close to a match for all params. including temp. he's doing okay anyway so its ok, but try to do it different if u get anoher one.

reason i suggest removing the sand is, if it hides all day long. it'll never get comfortable. it'll rely on the comfort it gets from the sand and hide all day long. if u wanna see ur fish, i suggest removing it. if u dont care. then leave it. the ray will do fine with or without sand.

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
I would leave the sand in there, you don't want an ammonia spike by removing it. Just keep feeding what he will eat. Keep up with you waterchanges.
Good luck

JamieC77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2006
Indiana
This is not my first ray. I had an Atlantic ray for quite a while b4 this one and I put it in the tank the same way. How exactly are you supposed to do a drip system? Is there a set amount of water to add and how far apart should you add water time wise?

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
"drip acclimation". u use a air line from a bubble stone or under gravel system and "syphon" out water from ur tank, to the container. but u tie a knot sorta kinda to slow the syphon to a slow drip. its the safest way to add rays from what i heard. but what do i know.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
ethnics;704184; said:
reason i suggest removing the sand is, if it hides all day long. it'll never get comfortable. it'll rely on the comfort it gets from the sand and hide all day long. if u wanna see ur fish, i suggest removing it. if u dont care. then leave it. the ray will do fine with or without sand.

horsedb4.gif

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store