Mottled Sculpin and Darters

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Well, I have circled back to wanting these. I have an empty 56 gallon acrylic. From what I understand, the Mottled Sculpin enjoys coldwater, like rocky bottoms, are territorial, and do not like other tank mates. I am fine with providing food for them; as crawdads, nightcrawlers, Mealworms, and Dubia Roaches are all readily available. Anything else I am missing? Has anyone kept them on here? Also, I know they like heavy aeration, and I am willing providing 2-3 air stones IF I get them. Are there any tank mates?

Does anyone know the largest species of Darter?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well, I have circled back to wanting these. I have an empty 56 gallon acrylic. From what I understand, the Mottled Sculpin enjoys coldwater, like rocky bottoms, are territorial, and do not like other tank mates. I am fine with providing food for them; as crawdads, nightcrawlers, Mealworms, and Dubia Roaches are all readily available. Anything else I am missing? Has anyone kept them on here? Also, I know they like heavy aeration, and I am willing providing 2-3 air stones IF I get them. Are there any tank mates?

Does anyone know the largest species of Darter?

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/to...sculpins, darters,hanging out of their mouths.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Following!

Reactions: tlindsey

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Largest one i can think of is the log perch off my head thats not endangered/threatened

Reactions: tlindsey

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
So this is my plan for the 56:

Native tank with a powerhead. I would have gravel slopping down, and large rocks. Multiple hidey holes.

My stocking would be something along the lines of this:

3 Mottled Sculpin
3 Darters (of some sort, the larger the better)
15 Flagfish Shiners
2 Shadow Bass

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Are Shadow bass just Rock bass??? id lower the amount of shiners to like 10? 15 seems like a lot.

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
I hate to say it, but I would stop looking through Wikipedia or whatever fish book your using, and start looking at websites or what’s available. A lot of these fish you’ll never be able to get because they are protected, nobody cares enough in the area they live to catch them and sell them, or they live in a small drainage like a lot of the darters and shiners do. Or maybe you want to settle for a more commonly available version of some of the fish like a rockbass instead of a shadow bass

Reactions: jjohnwm

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
4 4wheelvfr Has a pond with shadow bass.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I realize this, KATALEKEEPER KATALEKEEPER . Rock Bass can reach up to 17", tho mostly 10". I am looking through websites. I have found providers of multiple darter species, and Mottled Sculpin, as well as Flagfin Shiners. I do realize Shadow Bass are hard to get, but they are an absolute PERFECT fit for this tank. Also, I know Shadow Bass are relatively rare. And I have been looking at what is available, obviously. And yes, I linked him to a want to buy thread with Shadow Bass. Rock Bass get to big imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store