Mudskipper paludarium- an alternative solution

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Hi all.

I didn't want to go the traditional "sloping sand"-route in creating a habitat for my mudskippers.
To start with, I had three Periophthalmodon septemradiatus males. This is not the most aggressive nor largest species of 'skippers, but it still wants to form and defend a small territory.
What I wanted was to create a habitat with multiple spots where the fish can hide from each other's sight.

I started with an old 140 gallon sump tank:

I disassembled the sump to replace the old, scratched front glass with a new one and painted the trims:

For hardscape I wanted to make a DIY root system with multiple little shallow pools and an inbuilt plumming to circulate water in the pools.

A sketch:

Platforms and volume of the scape:

Roots bent of pvc and added volume with foam:

A bit of shaping with a knife:

A stage after a few layers:

Hardscape pretty much finished:

Glued in and the first test was very succesfull. All the pools were filled up with just one pump feeding the plumming system in the scape:

The mudskippers are using the whole scape and seem happy with it:

FTS, early stages:

BOOOOO!

The tank is still maturing. Water is kept at 1.002-1.003. I'm trying to find plants that would co-operate with me, but haven' had too much luck yet.

There, thanks for looking!
Amazing!

Reactions: HX67

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
Hey HX.

Any updates on your tank?

I'm not sure if you remember me, but I am still working on my build, a DIY rock wall with artificial roots. Your are one of the folks on here that inspired me to give this a try. I've made progress and am finished with the faux rock work. I began the root structure but wasn't happy with it, so, I'm starting over. I just wanted to say thanks again for answering my questions and giving me tips.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store