Muskie Care Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
The Muskie (Muskellunge)

Size: Muskies can range anywhere from 20-50 inches, meaning they require a tank that is roughly 18'x9'x3' or 3500 gallons for a large specimen (rule of thumb, 4 times the length of the fish should be the tanks length and the width should be twice the length of the fish)
Tank Setup: The tank should be very large (as stated in the size section) and have a lot of hiding spots (vegetation, drift wood, rocks, etc.) for it to ambush prey and it may require a chiller (depending on the temperature of where the tank is)
Diet: Muskies are ambush predators, feeding on fish, crayfish, shrimp, frogs, mice, birds, and just about any other meaty animal that it can get a hold of
Water Parameters: Muskies are by no means delicate fish, but ideally the nitrates should be anywhere from 0-20 ppm, with nitrite and ammonia at 0 ppm, the temperature should be in the mid 50s to low 60s
Tankmates: Tankmates would be anything that is too big to fit in it's mouth and that can handle lower temperatures, though it's recommended to keep them alone.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Good job! One thing though: they prefer water in the 70s to mid 80s, they aren't true coldwater fish like northerns.
So no chiller is usually required

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Another viper. You post generic answers to this for what? To get a sticky? I can make 100 care guides for irrelevant fish.
RTC: like clean water, tropical temp, need 10k gal tank, don’t keep with fish smaller than mouth
Arapaima: like clean water, tropical temp, need 10k gal, don’t keep with smaller fish.
And really birds? Whose going to feed their fish birds.... PLEASE MAKE A THREAD ON HOW TO KEEP COELACANTH AND DIET TOO!!
I’m just curious on how a guy makes a thread about keeping 30-40 fishes in a 29g tank make a “InfoCare” about a Muskie...

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Types: muskie come in 3 "normal"colorations:
Spotted,striped and plain.
Aberrant colorations such as two-tone, "blue phase",and albino do occur.

This fish responds poorly to starvation treatment, starving to death before accepting new foods.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Another viper. You post generic answers to this for what? To get a sticky? I can make 100 care guides for irrelevant fish.
RTC: like clean water, tropical temp, need 10k gal tank, don’t keep with fish smaller than mouth
Arapaima: like clean water, tropical temp, need 10k gal, don’t keep with smaller fish.
And really birds? Whose going to feed their fish birds.... PLEASE MAKE A THREAD ON HOW TO KEEP COELACANTH AND DIET TOO!!
What the heck is your problem Dloks Dloks ?
You hate everyone here,don't like what anyone keeps, would rather insult people than help them out, WTF are you still here?

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
You hate everyone here,don't like what anyone keeps, would rather insult people than help them out, WTF are you still here?
Man viper I’m tired of seeing your double, triple, irrelevant postes. I wish I can show you my PM to see how many people think you have no idea what you are saying. Hey I understand the internet and all these guys that follow you are your friends and you like to defend them, but DUDE SERIOUSLY have you ever read on your own boo boo venture out and keep idiotic fishes thread? How many people flamed you, now you are motivating another newbie member to post and cruelly keep fishes that don’t EVER belong in the aquarium trade. I remember when this forum had REAL FISH KEEPERS, not internet know it all who don’t really know smack and don’t even have a gold fish bowl to piss in. C’mon man, think about it man or did staying up for 13 days straight fried your brain. Or was it the time you fought Chuck Norris and won?

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
This is monsterfishkeepers, not fishthatoverlorddloksandco.haveapprovedofkeepers
Bro your right this is MFK, what are you keeping? Dloks and Co have kept every fish possible. I approve of ALL fish and active fish keepers. Please go ahead and make another care guide for White Sturgeon, let’s push ALL fish keepers to have a tank big enough for the sturgeons to migrate to saltwater!

Reactions: J. H. and tcav88
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
yeah you really go after a lot of people and nobody appreciates it, we would love to be your friend and help you, but you need to stop being so rude and going after people like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store