Mutant!!

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Enough is enough! This is the limit of mutation and hybridization of any fish!!

I am not sure if someone know about this little beautiful fella, seems weird mutation or hybridization to me!!

Thanks for any insight...

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Enough is enough! This is the limit of mutation and hybridization of any fish!!

I am not sure if someone know about this little beautiful fella, seems weird mutation or hybridization to me!!

Thanks for any insight...
Lol looks like that betta has a tumor on his head. In all seriousness tho it's probably either a tumor or a mutation that happened. It's impossible to cross breed a FH with a betta so that's definitely not a possibility. Definitely a neat/weird looking betta tho, I like his colors atleast.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Or it's possible that oranda x betta ? looks like oranda or normal gold fish kind of face. . but yes, yet, the colors are awesome!
Well only problem with that is gold fish are not in the same family as bettas. The only reason we can mix breed certain cichlids together is because many are still closely related to eachother while with other fish species tend to only be able to breed with other close relatives. Think of it this way. Koi and goldfish can cross breed because they are in the carp family, firemouth cichlids can breed with convict cichlids because they are both in the cichlid family and from the same continent. However a fire mouth cichlid cannot breed with a peacock cichlid because they were seperated by entire oceans from one another and have diverged too much genetically speaking. A betta cannot crossbreed with a FH or goldfish because it's not from the same family line either.

With this betta I can almost guarantee that it's a tumor growing on its head as it's very common for bettas to get cancer. It could possibly be a mutation but not as likely as it is to be a tumor instead. But regardless of what kind of deformity it is it still is a nice looking betta, love it's color pattern.

Reactions: AlphaTintu

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
yes, I thought the same and analysis that these two breed can't be X due to their different families. I heard about the tumors in bettas, poor guys are prone to many diseases, further, the owners of them put them in the bowl thinking about the size of them. Any fish deserve to be in at least acceptable amount of water, I hate those LFS put these beautiful bettas in those jars. :-(

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I am sure whosoever sold this betta saying this was "betta-horn" or "flowerhorn-betta", and might have charged 3x $$!!
Yeah hard to say how much they got for him. As for bettas in cups I always laugh whenever ppl say they can live in those things their entire lives. Personally the smallest container I've kept a betta in was a 2g cylinder tank. The biggest tank I've housed a betta in was my 55g planted tank. The only problem I've found with putting a betta in a large tank is that they often get out competed for food by the fast moving fish.

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
yes, they can't rush due to their beautiful larger fins, and their nature to swim slow, I guess.. I never kept any betta. One of my friend kept him in hood-less tank and betta jumped out of the tank and died (my friend claimed that he died but I am guessing he was still alive when got jumped on the floor, it's just he was just socked and was playing dead during that incident! I told him before that these guys jump a lot, but who listens to me! LOL).

On other incident, I've had my first flowerhorn, my wife was treating him like "dolphin" to let him take food out of her hand, without hood on top, and he jumped outside all of sudden to catch the food, my wife screamed and I rushed to them, put that little fella back in the tank, he swam just fine without any issues, he stayed well, no injuries). I see some of our members keeping hood-less/uncovered tanks and I always think about that incident that FH can jump very high.. e.g. if there is any bug hovering at the top of the tank and FH sees him, he surely will try to catch that bug for food (or for fun!, these are little crazy guys) :))

Anyway, yes, every creature on earth likes larger space to survive, however those beautiful bettas do sacrifice a lot, and that's, I guess, because of those LFS put them into the containers. They have to put them in small container because they can not afford to have each betta on separate tanks.. They are fighter fish.! LOL..

BTW, nice to know that someone kept a betta in 55G, it's really nice of you. Well, IMO, 20 gallon single betta would do best, as we can use sponge filter and some BIO media in a bag, and a heater, he will be happy living fish on the earth I believe..

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
yes, they can't rush due to their beautiful larger fins, and their nature to swim slow, I guess.. I never kept any betta. One of my friend kept him in hood-less tank and betta jumped out of the tank and died (my friend claimed that he died but I am guessing he was still alive when got jumped on the floor, it's just he was just socked and was playing dead during that incident! I told him before that these guys jump a lot, but who listens to me! LOL).

On other incident, I've had my first flowerhorn, my wife was treating him like "dolphin" to let him take food out of her hand, without hood on top, and he jumped outside all of sudden to catch the food, my wife screamed and I rushed to them, put that little fella back in the tank, he swam just fine without any issues, he stayed well, no injuries). I see some of our members keeping hood-less/uncovered tanks and I always think about that incident that FH can jump very high.. e.g. if there is any bug hovering at the top of the tank and FH sees him, he surely will try to catch that bug for food (or for fun!, these are little crazy guys) :))

Anyway, yes, every creature on earth likes larger space to survive, however those beautiful bettas do sacrifice a lot, and that's, I guess, because of those LFS put them into the containers. They have to put them in small container because they can not afford to have each betta on separate tanks.. They are fighter fish.! LOL..

BTW, nice to know that someone kept a betta in 55G, it's really nice of you. Well, IMO, 20 gallon single betta would do best, as we can use sponge filter and some BIO media in a bag, and a heater, he will be happy living fish on the earth I believe..
Yeah I've had quite a few bettas in my time lol. Most ended up living in my 55g and I had 1 of em that was like greased lightning in there. He was a double tail halfmoon plakat if I'm remembering correctly. He kind of looked like a fighter plane with how his body was designed. I'll post a pic of him if I can find any.
Also he was by far the meanest betta I have ever had. He would attack any fish and even my cat threw the glass lol.

20170725_002534.jpg

20170724_205907.jpg

• Love
Reactions: AlphaTintu

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
A fine specimen of Photoshoppus imaginarius, likely wild caught from the region of the Shangri-la/Styx river delta.

Tough to keep in aquariums, as they require an almost constant supply of gullibility as a food source and often don't allow close scrutiny. They have a habit of going into hiding the day before an observer attempts to see one. It likely took an extremely skilled phographer to document this one.

Edited to add: just checked out the actual video instead of looking at the still photo. What a disappointment...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store