My 135g Thread

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Well, after a whole lot of craiglist hunting I found a keeper.

I picked up this 135g Oceanic w/ dual overflow boxes for $90.00. Although I had to drive 500 miles to get it. The trip was justifiable though, my father ended up with a 90g and a 110g, he got them for a great price as well.

It is in really nice shape (albeit dirty as hell). The silicone appears to be in tip top shape, there are not apparent scratches or chips in the glass.

It did not come with a stand, but my father found one and is letting me have it.

It has been in my parents garage for most of the summer, I am going to be going up there soon to clean it and haul it back to my basement.

I plan on building a canopy.

I would like to paint the stand, trim, and canopy black.

I have a AquaClear 110, and plan on putting a 30 gallon wet/dry sump in the stand. I may also find a canister for it as well. I have 0 experience with overflows or sumps.

How much turnover do i want to go through the sump, I read on the "sizing a pump" thread that 3x is for under-stocked, and 10x is for over-stocked. I am not sure what I want to stock yet, I am shooting for about 8x turnover per hour, so 135g * 8 = 1080 gph or 18 gpm. Is that correct?

I am in no rush to get this set up. I am going to be hunting for a good deal on submersible pumps, reading up on DiY canopies.

I am sure I will have tons of questions and d'oh moments along the way.

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
I just picked up a 135 as well from craig's list with stand, 25 gallon sump tank and a Jebo filter. Dirty as hell as well, what do you plan on stocking your with?

sizors

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Orlando / Casselberry FL
elting44;4550937; said:
I have a AquaClear 110, and plan on putting a 30 gallon wet/dry sump in the stand. I may also find a canister for it as well. I have 0 experience with overflows or sumps.

How much turnover do i want to go through the sump, I read on the "sizing a pump" thread that 3x is for under-stocked, and 10x is for over-stocked. I am not sure what I want to stock yet, I am shooting for about 8x turnover per hour, so 135g * 8 = 1080 gph or 18 gpm. Is that correct?
dont bother with the aquaclear since this tank is meant to have a sump. you could hook 1 of the overflows to the sump and the other to a canister if thats what you are going for.

as for the gph, that is up to you, but what you really want to look for is what the pump is rated for at 4ft.

very nice pick up btw

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
i kinda disagree,i have aquaclears on all my tanks with canisters and sumps,they are great when you need to add media(after medicating or trying a new media etc)without disturbing you other filters and they are great for extra surface water movement,plus you can never go wrong with extra filtration. just my 2 cents.

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
pack that AC110 with all sponge and it will do great mech filtration while your sump will skim and handle your bioload.

I have a 55g wet/dry on my 190g handling mostly bio, while my 2x AC110s work great for mech. Also have an fx5 doing both just for good measure (I have a massive bioload). :naughty:

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
i have 2 ac 110 and a sump. thats a :banher:great:banher: way to filter a tank

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Crispy;4561838; said:
pack that AC110 with all sponge and it will do great mech filtration while your sump will skim and handle your bioload.
Thats kind of what I had planned, I figure I have the AC 110, I might as well use it.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Fishnthehood;4560930; said:
I just picked up a 135 as well from craig's list with stand, 25 gallon sump tank and a Jebo filter. Dirty as hell as well, what do you plan on stocking your with?
I dont know yet...

I have thought about;

A) Breeding pair of Festae,
B) Costa Rican biotope with a Jaguar, a Black Belt, Jack Dempesy and a couple of male Convicts
C) A "Crypto" community tank: Sajica, Convicts, Multispinosa, Cutteri, Nanoluteus

I will worry about that when I get it set up, my dad is bringing it down to mi casa this weekend. Will post pics when it is clean and in my basement!!!

Natalie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2007
Florida
I'd love to see a tank devoted to Cryptoheros/Archocentrus. I'm excited to see what you do with the tank, and I love projects, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. :)

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Natalie;4563244; said:
I'd love to see a tank devoted to Cryptoheros/Archocentrus. I'm excited to see what you do with the tank, and I love projects, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. :)
Thats kind of the direction I am leaning at the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store