My 1500gal plywood build (pics)

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
the gator gar is getting big. about 2' and thick. he better be though he ate all my peacock bass while i was gone

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
well I installed a large carbon cylinder from culligan. Its the same kind that some people run on their house water. its 4ft tall and contains like 50lbs of industrial carbon that should last 5yrs. I put a rio 500gph on it and started it up. The whole install took about 1hr. My water was a kinda yellowish color from the drift wood. within 24hrs it was so clear you really cant even tell there is water in it. the fish look like they are floating. haha so def a great buy. and my diy filter is doing a fantastic job. 1 month without a water change while i was in africa and still 0ppm ammonia.

When I got back from wisconsin the other day after a week of absence I noticed that my 2' TSN was acting weird. than I saw a tail hanging out of his mouth. I decided after about 8hrs sense it was still there I should pull it out so i stuck the net in and luckily he swam right into it and didnt even splash about. looked in and there was a 8"+ syno erupitus that I have a school of to clean the pond. He had it lodged in his mouth. its pectorals were stuck in both gills. I had to pull it out slowly but I got it out. the littleone died but luckily the tsn didnt. Dry measurments put him at 26" with his mouth big enough to put my fist in.

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
Glad you TSN made it! I llike the idea of the carbon on there for clarity. We have something like that we are supposed to be using for the autowater change system, but it's old and the thing leaks even after hours and hours of trying to get it sealed. We're going to have to buy a new one, and as a specialty item, it not easy to find. It sounds like I might have to look into what you have x 2 (one for the auto water change and one part of the filtration system). Probably a whole lot easier to find.

As for my MIA, we've had other events going on, so no on the pond, but slow and steady progress on the rest of the system. Also, I have no shovelnose left after (long story short) a disasterous mess with one of the three ripping the filter output underwater and them all suffocating. Kinda couldn't deal with it for a while, and took me a bit to want to really continue with fish. There was talk of selling a bunch of fish, but we seem to have laid low and gotten passed that.

fly boy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
robin hood county
just read this from the begining , you have made a real good job of everything . how did the fish and filters cope when the pumps broke ? i would like to see some pics of the carbon filter

Maor0

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2011
Israel
amazing job! any updates and pics?

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
Sorry been gone for awhile. Everything did fine without pumps actually though it was only for a week. I have zero ammonia even with the heavy stock. Everyone is getting rather large quickly feeding 4lbs of fresh fish a week as well as 1/2lb of pellets a week. The rtc is near 28" tsn about 26". I'll get pics as soon as I can. My camera broke in Africa and just haven't had a chance to buy a new one yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store