My 20,000 Gallon Koi Pond DIY

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Hello!
This is a project that I have been working on for the past few months, and I am now finally making a dedicated thread on it.
I have an older style pool that I have decided to convert into a koi pond.
The pool is 32.5 feet by 14.5 feet by approximately 6 feet (LxWxH). This equates to a total gallonage of around 21,000 gallons.
Here is the picture of the pool:
20210118_125905[1].jpg

I am almost done with the DIY filtration, and I will update this thread when it is complete.
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
Thanks,
Polypterus_36

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Is it going to be bare? It would be cool to have a small fallen tree or something. Did you make a choice on stocking? Koi, and thats it? It would be cool to have Ide mixed within. And some small livebearers would give you something plentiful and colorful to look at. Like Platys or Mollies or Swordtails. Also, large Loaches would be cool, like Horsehead or Weather. Awesome pool/pond.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Is it going to be bare? It would be cool to have a small fallen tree or something. Did you make a choice on stocking? Koi, and thats it? It would be cool to have Ide mixed within. And some small livebearers would give you something plentiful and colorful to look at. Like Platys or Mollies or Swordtails. Also, large Loaches would be cool, like Horsehead or Weather. Awesome pool/pond.
The pool itself will be bare, but we will be adding floating and marginal plants to help with water quality.

The stocking will just be koi for now, as I have not found a peaceful tankmate that I like.

Small livebearers like swordtails and mollies cannot survive the winter here, but I will have rosy sides and gambusia to deal with mosquitos and to add color.

Thanks!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Following! This looks like to will turn out great!

Who knows, maybe it could still work as a pool once the fish are in!:ROFL:

Reactions: Polypterus_36

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Looks like fun. I have a pool and often joke with the wife about doing this. She says no way!
It will happen some day I just got wait her out.
Keep us posted.
Would like to the filtration when you’re ready to share.

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Looks like fun. I have a pool and often joke with the wife about doing this. She says no way!
It will happen some day I just got wait her out.
Keep us posted.
Would like to the filtration when you’re ready to share.
The DIY filtration is almost complete. It will be probably up and running by tomorrow.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Is there a thread on the DIY filter? Also, Rosy Red Minnows are also nice coloration. Super hardy, and breed like frickin hell!

Reactions: Polypterus_36
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store