My 2x 9ft plywood frag tank build

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
Hey guys,

Just joined, I have a build thread on my local reef club, but I wanted to post here to share it and maybe get some input. I am going to migrate some posts over with photos for this thread shortly.

For a little background, this build started in October of 2018, and I have been slowly building it since. The systems are for my little side business selling coral, and as I am unfamilar with the rules on this forum, I am going to shy away from discussing that in this thread to be safe.

Migrated posts to follow shortly

Reactions: BichirKing

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
My current frag tank:
Untitled (1).png

Aluminum extrusion for the frame it's cool, but highly non-maintainable. The 3 foot depth of the tank and it's high height make it impossible to even reach the back. On top of that it's on the second floor of my home, and presents a constant and very major risk. My square foot capacity is good, but not great. I have 12 square feet for frag space, but even that is limited to a smaller usable space due to the gyre power heads etc.

My new build:
What I always wanted to do was to use my garage for the business, but that presents problems too. I would have to heat and cool it, which is expensive, and requires a good bit of contract work to get done. On top of that, the wife doesn't want me to alter the house any.

So my idea is to build a large box in the garage, and climate control that instead.

new tank 1.png new tank 2.png

The box is right at 8 feet tall, 10 feet long. The tanks will be two 10 feet long tanks, 12 inches tall, and 24 inches wide. Situated in a horshoe, and overflowing into a simple sump which will just slightly lower than the tanks themselves.

A large return pump will t off and feed water to the other end of the tanks, creating a constant flow back to the center sump area. The overflow will fall into filter floss, and I will run a skimmer for nutrient export.

This will take my frag holding capacity from 12 square feet, to 40, and should be highly maintainable, and finally be in my garage where any type of major failure can do almost no lasting damage to my home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store