My 2x 9ft plywood frag tank build

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
I agree, but I would lose sleep at night if I wasn't 100% sure there no chance of failure :D

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
Here is is running just one side, temp setup so I could finally take down my frag tank upstairs. Just need to finish up the plumbing, cabling, and spin up the other side when my new RODI comes in.59DFE625-FAE4-4FAB-8003-F5D355CFD1E7.jpg

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
Okay, wasn't an overly productive weekend, but I did get the return system roughed in, and will over next week be gluing it.
also got the overflow hoses taken care of, though I have concerns with it's performance, I am hoping it will be just fine.

IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1408.jpg IMG_1404.jpg

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
Okay guys, I think it's time to wrap up this build thread.
Both tanks are running through the sump, and now it's just a matter of tweaking, and adjusting. The tank has had some frags (about 15) in it for about ten days now with no losses, and in fact one of my acans got uppity and grew another head. Zoas are open, and happy, and the fish are doing just fine.

Some things I have planned moving forward:

1. Installing an air circulation duct outside the box which will pump air from the top of the room down under the left tank so I can place dehumidifer and ac under the tanks.
2. installing a monitor for humidity and temp inside the box so I can keep an eye on that.
3. install the portable ac unit, route vent pipe through wall, and install a port on my garage door so it can vent outside.
4. finalize wiring, and plug pass through holes with insulation, general clean up.
5. install wifi camera so I can keep an eye on it.

(none of these things are worth continuing to update the thread, they are just environmental tweaks.)

So in terms of the technical aspects of the project...

1. dimensions: 7.5w x 7h x 10long (ft)
2. Total cost ~2000 to 2500 not including aquarium equipment
3. Time to build: ~4 months
4. total tank volume including sump ~165gallons
5. total usable area for frags/coral: ~32 square feet with comfortable room for between 500-600 frags. (well spaced)

Some things I would have done differently:
1. Would have built my own sump, spanning the space between the tanks, and just a simple waterfall overflow into it.
2. Would have done the ceiling and wall paneling before building the tanks (would have been way easier)
3. Would have not screwed up the curing my first attempt at liquid rubber upload_2019-2-15_9-43-21.gif

I am setting a reminder at 3 and 6 months to come back and post about it's performance over time.

Thank you all for your advice, and encouragement. Would have been a lot less fun without people to talk about it with. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

pic1.png
pic2.png

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I loved your build and the documenting of your process so thanks so very much.

I would like to see any updates you care to post in the future on whether you wish you had done something differently.

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
Thanks, I'll do my best to get back here, I think there is very little information online about long term liquid rubber so I would like to add to that.

First order of about 140 frags coming on the 1st, excited to start filling this up... then emptying it :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store