MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
Ohio

GrossGraphix

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
Ohio
I did not see any bowing of the walls. Ill have to double check on the matt weight. I know that is is pretty heavy stuff. But i believe that the fiberglass does add some strength to the build i would not count on it being the main strength, unless you have like 15+ layers. Its more for keeping the water from penetrating the wood. Then i also used some sweet water stuff to coat the fiberglass of course after i had sanded/scuffed it for the sweet water epoxy to adhere to it.

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
Well I've only got 3-4 layers of fiberglass but in the corners and seams it's glued, screwed, filet with more glue, fiberglassed inside and out and wetsuit with reinforcing fabric. The corners should be pretty strong. My concern is if the walls start to bow over time the seams may develop cracks. On the other hand my tank is only 30" deep. I've seen plenty of glass tanks with 1/2" glass that size. I can't believe it would be stronger than plywood with reinforcing. If the wetsuit lives up to the claims that it can stretch 1500% then even if things shift a little it should hold up.

The ultimate test would be of course when I add water. The plan is to half fill in a few months when it warms up here let it sit for a while. Observe for leaks then if stable fill the rest of the way.

My main concern is the concrete floor under it. It's not exactly poured with precision and the waviness doesn't give me a lot of confidence that it is has a consistent thickness. Hopefully with my extra 6 bags added will distribute the weight more evenly. I remember when I had a water bed I noticed the house started to settle more and cracks in the drywall started showing up. This tank is twice the size of the waterbed. The differnce being that it's in the basement vs the bed on the first floor.

koopman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
Netherlands
Looks awesome :headbang2
Will the be a special background or just leave it black?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store