My 650g plywood tank also Wetsuit

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
Looks a great build mate, similar to what i will be doing in a few months on a 500g , also next year for my 1300g tank , mine was going to be a braced corner with a 3x3 routed out for the window corner but then it wouldnt look as good and as clean as a glass one. Even looking at a bent glass corner but that could become expensive..

Your glass should be fine IMO, i will be going 3 foot high so will be using 18mm plate with 4x3 windows.

I will be using 3/4 ply but with 3x2 bearers every 18 inch or so and as you 3 layers of grp/fibreglass and extra on the corners.
If used enough of fibreglass then less ply is needed, but still good bearers are needed as bowing is always going to happen.

Looking forward to the end result, hope all goes well with it, good to see a new corner window.

wayne

yodaLBC

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2010
Philippines
nice DIY tank!!! cant wait to see the finish product!

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Hah, your architecture looks familliar ;)

Will be killer when done. I was very happy with the all glass corner in my 600gl tank.

...and you should not have any problems with bowing plywood the way it's braced - I know mine does not bow, even in the center of the long back panel.

P1000666_small.JPG

quovadis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2010
U S A
tell me one good reason why you fail to use the thickest size ply they have available in your part of the world .
i feel a bit uneasy looking at the one you chose ,,,,,, Inquiring mind

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
cvermeulen;4780767; said:
Hah, your architecture looks familliar ;)

Will be killer when done. I was very happy with the all glass corner in my 600gl tank.

...and you should not have any problems with bowing plywood the way it's braced - I know mine does not bow, even in the center of the long back panel.
Hmmm, I wonder how that happened? :naughty: I think your build was my inspiration :headbang2

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
quovadis;4780999; said:
tell me one good reason why you fail to use the thickest size ply they have available in your part of the world .
i feel a bit uneasy looking at the one you chose ,,,,,, Inquiring mind
Well simply because I've seen enough tanks that were built in similar fashion. Also the fact that my depth is only 30" and there are plenty of tanks that use 1/2" glass in that same depth. I can't believe that 3/4" plywood with 4 layers of fiberglass, screws, glue, epoxy, wetsuit, and a final coat of pool paint would be less secure than 1/2" of glass and silicone. As long as the seams are square which I made sure of and little to no shifting or settling I should be fine. But of course as I said previously the proof will be when water goes in in a few months. :nilly:

quovadis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2010
U S A
sashimimaster;4781076; said:
Well simply because I've seen enough tanks that were built in similar fashion. Also the fact that my depth is only 30" and there are plenty of tanks that use 1/2" glass in that same depth. I can't believe that 3/4" plywood with 4 layers of fiberglass, screws, glue, epoxy, wetsuit, and a final coat of pool paint would be less secure than 1/2" of glass and silicone. As long as the seams are square which I made sure of and little to no shifting or settling I should be fine. But of course as I said previously the proof will be when water goes in in a few months. :nilly:
HUH sorry for the gaff.///I just failed to read the post, where you clearly stated that you used 3by 2 at 18 inch interval behind it all////..
very nicely made, as far as the color blue is concerned nothing else even comes close for a natural effect,,,,WAY TO GO

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
sashimimaster;4778492; said:
So I didn't like the dark brown of the Wetsuit when it's submerged so I painted it. I know now it looks like a pool but it's better than the muddy brown IMO. I used pool paint and it adheres pretty well to the Wetsuit.
I love the blue...

Mike

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
sashimimaster;4781054; said:
Hmmm, I wonder how that happened? :naughty: I think your build was my inspiration :headbang2
Always nice to be an inspiration! Looking forward to seeing this all put together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store