My Amphilophus Sagittae journal

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Had to make one more move. Of the two orange girl's, one is more aggressive and picking on the other. So I moved the timid one to the solo spot, and the white girl is in with the more aggressive orange girl. So far the white one took charge, but no fights.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Well cichlids are going to cichlid I guess, the white and orange girl wouldn't stop fighting do drastic measures had to happen.
So dominant orange is on one side, white on other, timid orange is in a tote.20190707_135628.jpg20190707_135644.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Wheres there a will, there's a way. Some how the twerp got thru the defenses. 20190707_152823.jpg
So I had to do some fortifying of the partitions.
20190707_154359.jpg

Reactions: Niki_up

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Atleast he didn't kill her lol, I've had that happen countless times, also had countless times where the cichlids broke through the barrier and bred.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
So I have a question for you all. Due you think that Casper may be a "leucistic" Sagittae?

Saw this in another thread.

How to tell the difference: all of these can appear white-ish

1. Platinum= some pigment= typically in the eyes( at least with polys). Color is all white in high-quality platinums. The scientific name for platinum is "leucistic." This means that there is minimal pigment, thus producing an almost iridescent white color, but there still is pigment in the eyes and sometimes nose, ends of body parts. Think like a white tiger. There are some lower grade platinums where there will be a few gray spots on the fish. Or for overall coloration, they will take on a slightly grayish or yellow hue in areas.

2. Albino= no pigment. Red eyes. All white or slightly pinkish/yellow coloration. Think albino Senegal.

3. washed out due to environment= typically when polys are adjusting to a new habitat or if the substrate is all white, they will appear to take on a lighter coloration. This can range from patterns looking dull or areas on the poly appeared super light. If you look at your delhezi you can see that it does appear to have washed out patterns/ the top part of its body looks super white. This might be washed out, it might not.

How to tell the difference between a low-grade platinum or just washed out:
put in a tank with black or red substrate and wait for a few weeks.
The description sounds exactly like Casper save the whole poly part. But same glowing white skin, with some color in the eyes and yellowing of the "face" area.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Grr, if it ain't one thing its another.....

The tote started to RIP apart...20190708_135016.jpg

I know chaos of my own making, should have left well enough alone....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store