My Ball Python

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Seriously be careful with live plants.I put a live plant in with my snake a few years ago and BAM I ended up getting small red mites!! THOUSANDS of them!!! Sure they were not the typical reptile mites but they were a pain in the butt to get rid of.;)

Isis_Nebthet

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
IN
Nice baby walls..

I'm not sure if this has been touched on in the f/t discussion as I got bored at page 3 or 4 :nilly:

About two months ago I had a boa that I was considering getting rid of. She would hiss if I came near the cage and strike my hands if I even acted like I was going to touch her. I couldn't imagine taking care of snake like that at the nine or ten foot range.....

I started feeding her p/k or f/t only and now she's a puppy..I can handle her let her run around the house some and pick her back up with no issues. She hasn't hissed once since the change.

synapse989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Midland, Michigan
when I put live plants in with my piranha, I got some snails along with them.. my P's pretty much ate them all.. some dude told me I was going to be overrun with snails..

I will be careful though.. plant bugs are a lot different than a few snails.

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Isis_Nebthet;796080; said:
I'm not sure if this has been touched on in the f/t discussion as I got bored at page 3 or 4 :nilly:

I started feeding her p/k or f/t only and now she's a puppy..I can handle her let her run around the house some and pick her back up with no issues. She hasn't hissed once since the change.
There is really no connection between the type of prey fed to ball pythons and their temperment.

While you may have noticed this change since the switch, I suspect that there may be other factors at play.

I've kept ball pythons for about 10 years now, I've fed live, p/k, f/t, and I've found that hissy snakes or tame snakes are going to be the way they are regardless of the type of prey they are eating.

I've seen f/t feeders that take prey off of tongs as if the rat were alive...I've also seen f/t feeders that don't even constrict anymore...they just start swallowing it when they find the prey item.

I have NO IDEA what exactly affects the temperment of ball pythons, I just know that every single one is an individual and completely unique in their temperment and mannerisms.

stoogie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
I have NO IDEA what exactly affects the temperment of ball pythons, I just know that every single one is an individual and completely unique in their temperment and mannerisms.[/QUOTE]

Well Said.

synapse989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Midland, Michigan
well.. y'know.. if a snake doesn't like something about its environment, it's certainly not going to send an inter-office memo.. no postings on the action/item list... in nature they'd obviously move to someplace else.. ...in a closed in habitat, they're going to react in different ways..

but one thing I must insist on is that preying on live animals, on their own terms, should make a snake feel more natural.. ..if you think about it.. it will let that snake know that it's the master of its domain..

but of course this is generally speaking in theory.. ...only time will tell if I'm correct.

I know my snake is a little grouchy when I pull her out of her tank.. ..and she lets me know that she doesn't take any crap.. ..not that I've been bitten, but she does snap here and there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store