My Ball Python

dougefresh

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Delaware
Just got my first ball python about two weeks ago......here is some pictures of it eating, just got it off live and onto frozen......these are from my camera phone, i'll get better pictures when i get the adapter for my camera.....

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

smmfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
NEBRASKA
dougefresh;774988; said:
Just got my first ball python about two weeks ago......here is some pictures of it eating, just got it off live and onto frozen......these are from my camera phone, i'll get better pictures when i get the adapter for my camera.....

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

How did you get him on frozen? I bought my ball back in January and he was fed live in the pet store. I have tried frozen. I would thaw the mouse out in warm water, dry it off and gently shake him in front of my ball to no avail. He won't eat him. I tried for several days in a row. I gave up and gave him a live one and within in a few seconds he had him. I am very frustrated, I know balls are picky eaters I just hope I can get mine on frozen instead of live.

TheBloodyIrish

Feeder Fish
Mar 3, 2007
Grande Prairie, Canada
How did you get him on frozen? I bought my ball back in January and he was fed live in the pet store. I have tried frozen. I would thaw the mouse out in warm water, dry it off and gently shake him in front of my ball to no avail. He won't eat him. I tried for several days in a row. I gave up and gave him a live one and within in a few seconds he had him. I am very frustrated, I know balls are picky eaters I just hope I can get mine on frozen instead of live.
Sound like your snake either needed chicken broth or the smell of a fresh kill.

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Easiest way to switch them to frozen is to let them go a few weeks and don't offer them ANY food, while making sure that your temps are up to where they should be.

I know it sounds like "starving" them, but in reality, their bodies are designed to take in MUCH less food than what they get in captivity. Wild ball pythons MIGHT eat 10-20 times a year if they are lucky.

How are you offering the frozen prey?

Most people that feed f/t offer the food off of long tongs/forecepts, while making sure that the thawed rodent is warm and dry.

smmfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
NEBRASKA
elevatethis;775973; said:
Easiest way to switch them to frozen is to let them go a few weeks and don't offer them ANY food, while making sure that your temps are up to where they should be.

I know it sounds like "starving" them, but in reality, their bodies are designed to take in MUCH less food than what they get in captivity. Wild ball pythons MIGHT eat 10-20 times a year if they are lucky.

How are you offering the frozen prey?

Most people that feed f/t offer the food off of long tongs/forecepts, while making sure that the thawed rodent is warm and dry.
I am trying to feed off of long tongs and yes the mouse is completely thawed, warm and dry.
I don't want to hijack this thread so thanks for the opinions!!

smmfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
NEBRASKA
dougefresh;774988; said:

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
Oh, btw beautiful ball.
They are one of my favorite snakes.

dougefresh

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Delaware
smmfish;775570; said:
Yea mine was fed live the whole time it was at the store too......honestly i didn't starve it or anything this is exactly what i did....i've only fed it twice so the first time i got a live mouse and just knocked it out with a tap on the head, so this way hes used to the mouse not moving but it still having body heat, then offered it to it on tongs and it took it right away.....this week i just warmed up a frozen one real good and offered it to it and it nailed it right away, i moved the mouse around a lot with the tongs i have too .......good luck........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store