My block pond build

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I had one in my garage in my old house (R.I.P). I had to line it with a sealer. Mine was sea blue i can't remember the name of the product

Reactions: davemal

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Still following.
Still crossing fingers.
Still sure you're going to get it dialed in and have a smashing pond for your fish!

Never give up!

Reactions: davemal

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
i tried scrubbing it with 2 gallons of white wine vinegar had little effect. Been onto the tech people at K.A. they said if I wanted they would send someone out to do tests for me. After talking to them it sounds like I need to just wait a bit and drop the ph slowly. Doing this quickly using chemicals has the risk once the ph has dropped it might swing back.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
i tried scrubbing it with 2 gallons of white wine vinegar had little effect. Been onto the tech people at K.A. they said if I wanted they would send someone out to do tests for me. After talking to them it sounds like I need to just wait a bit and drop the ph slowly. Doing this quickly using chemicals has the risk once the ph has dropped it might swing back.
Muratic acid would probaly be a better option for something that large. My family owns a masonry company and we use diluted muratic to scrub block. Its available at building supply places like home depot and all used in pools to control ph.

I wouldn't suggest it as a long term solution for your ph but could help neutralize your current situation.

Your other option would be to drain it and seal it with a product like Drylock or Pond armor.

The Drylock is MADE for concrete and is much cheaper then pond armor.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
/\/\/\All of this is good info/\/\/\

Best idea seal it. But muratic acid will help drop the ph. Drain the pond scrub the walls with acid and fill and rinse this will also drop the ph. I made agracrete rocks and backgrounds for my reef tanks and in stead of waiting months for the ph to wear off naturally I washed them using muratic acid once the agracrete was fully cured. But like I said if you seal it with drylock or pond armor you wont have to worry about it. But to be ready for the coating you will still need to etch the surface with acid to ensure a proper bond and to remove any calcium carbonate on the surface of the concrete.

Reactions: Muni and davemal

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
As a back up plan I can fibre glass the pond. Not sure a pond paint will stick to tanking as it contains silicon (not sure how). I know its difficult to render or skim over because little sticks to it. Spring time if the ph has not settled I will go for plan B.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
As a back up plan I can fibre glass the pond. Not sure a pond paint will stick to tanking as it contains silicon (not sure how). I know its difficult to render or skim over because little sticks to it. Spring time if the ph has not settled I will go for plan B.
Contains silicone or silica? Do you have a link to what you used specifically? I'm not familer with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store