My bold prediction.. Asian Arowanas will be legal in USA

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I think there are two sides to this thread and its getting all mixed up...

Repealing the Endangered Species Act being it fish animal or plant and allowing wild caught specimens as you say is wrong and is destructive....

Allowing captive bred to be traded, I dont think should be baned
Asia is captive breeding thousands of Arowanas... if proven captive bred... I dont understand why they should be banned.... Just my opinion...
There needs to be changes made to what is a CITES risk vs. just killing the whole Act. I can see why they want to do it, being the huge amount of money they can probably bring in with no crazy hippies throwing more and more laws into their faces. I'm not mixing this up, OP states the act may be repealed not amended. That's an issue.

Reactions: FishTanksOfCO

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I am 100% in favor of lifting the ban on Captive bread Asian Aro! We can only hope and pray!!!

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
There needs to be changes made to what is a CITES risk vs. just killing the whole Act. I can see why they want to do it, being the huge amount of money they can probably bring in with no crazy hippies throwing more and more laws into their faces. I'm not mixing this up, OP states the act may be repealed not amended. That's an issue.
sorry... didnt mean you mixing it up.. i meant in general...

And yes... you are right... lets hope that if repealed, other laws are put into place that will still protect the wild ones...
hopefully its changed in a fair acceptable way.

We dont have ban on Asian aros here but they do come with CITIES certificate.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
sorry... didnt mean you mixing it up.. i meant in general...

And yes... you are right... lets hope that if repealed, other laws are put into place that will still protect the wild ones...
hopefully its changed in a fair acceptable way.

We dont have ban on Asian aros here but they do come with CITIES certificate.
no need to apologize lol, I understand what you meant.

I would hope new laws would be introduced if some are removed or changed.

Reactions: MariaS

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
In no way could I support repeal of Endangered Species Act.
LET me be clear! I do not support the repeal of the Endangered Species Act in the USA or did I support the president who is currently in office that IS going to repeal the Act in the next weeks possibly months.

I will continue to thrive in this America just like I did under the previous leadership. What I'm focusing on now is that the ESA is the only thing tying the US government to the CITES treaty. Without that ACT we no longer participate or are members of CITES, which is by default make Asian Arowanas legal overnight.

This scenario is all I am trying to discuss. I know all of the other terrible implications the repealing of this act will cause, but I want to focus on the ONE good thing that could personally come from it.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
no need to apologize lol, I understand what you meant.

I would hope new laws would be introduced if some are removed or changed.
I do not think that will happen at all! Trump is repealing the monstrously large and complex legislation of Obamacare without a replacement ready. There's no reason to think that he would have a replacement ready for the ESA, he's signed like 20ish executive orders in 8 days without replacements, and anything he needs the house or congress for just pushes it through right away even with the democrats sitting out. The republicans have the House, Senate, presidency, soon the supreme court and the governorships. Trump can change any law he pleases without any resistance.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
well we can still hope!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ive been thinking about this topic lately also...As an avid fishermen im on the fence a bit...but certain species added to the cites list last october affected me and id like that to go away haha... im a bit oldschool... i miss what the hobby had 10+yrs ago. weve been pinched pretty hard these days. LFS are almost obsolete and vendors are becoming scarce aswell. Im all for a boost in imports and in turn a boost in the industry/hobby... Lots of other sp. id like to get my hands on aside from asian aros ;)

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
Yes, Asian Arowana will probably be legal soon, when the act is repealed, but will probably be back in some form I the not to distant future. The Asian Ariana should not be listed, if it is already covered by CITES the USA really doesn't need to deal with a foreign species in general. But if the act goes, I am more concerned about many endangered native fish, that will lose protection, I hope that some killifish keepers are given some of the endangered pupfish to breed. As for Arowana we will most likely have to import them from Canada. Maybe someone can start a farm in Florida.
I would bet they will be legal to have within 24 months, but the ESA will be replaced at some point, maybe not under this Administration, but in the not to distant future, and we may end up with even stricter laws and a not well thought out bit of legislation. The ESA is pretty well drafted, and I would hope it is just put back up as is, minus Asian Arowana, I mean Tigers are on CITES Appendix 1 and there are more tigers in Americans yards than their are in the Wild. Tigers are no where near as mass produced as Asian Arowanas. The point is that Asian Arowana should not be under the ESA in the first place. We should lobby to get it delisted, not that hard probably, a couple well presented facts should do it. The point of all conservation is to delist something, or it should be.
Leaving CITES though is much more dangerous, if we left the whole thing might fall apart, hopefully it doesn't but their is no guarantee.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Predator, We have had great conversations in the past let's keep this up :) I agree the act was originally well intended, but it has pissed a lot of people off. I know in the pacific Northwest where I am from the act was used to protect the Spotted Owl and stop logging, mining and other activities in areas that were protected for it. This pissed a lot of people off and was viewed as a misuse of the act, as it crippled some local industries. Those are the people viewed as crazy hippies!

Yes the law will be repealed without a replacement for likely 1-2 years. This will allow a window of time where literally all endangered species will be legal in the USA unless specifically banned by a state. when the original ESA was put in place all Asian Aros were grandfathered in, I remember this because my father owned one when I was a boy (showing my ripe maturing age here). So we could be in the scenario again in a few years once new legislation comes, if we get them legally in the window of repeal we should be grandfathered in once new laws come.

Republicans hate regulation. So much that there's another new executive order going into effect the new few weeks that address regulation. For every new regulation imposed the federal government has to repeal 2 existing regulations. This is going to create an environment where new regulations don't come often as you will have to repeal two to enact a new one. So don't expect a replacement anywhere near as restrictive as the ESA if it is written under trump. If it is written under a democratic president in a future term it will be EXTREMELY limiting and restrictive as the democrats will want to "preserve" nature and species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store