My bold prediction.. Asian Arowanas will be legal in USA

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Let's be honest, the primary reason for the endangered species act back in 1973 was to save the greatly endangered and admired Bald Eagle. It's our countries motto, our logo, it's synonymous with the USA. The bald eagle has made a historic recovery. I saw 9 flying simultaneously from my dock last week, there's nests on power line towers and in trees all along highway 101 in Washington State. Republicans see this and say the act has done its job. it's designed to rehabilitate species, but from their perspective it's been used primarily to control the use of lands outside of the eagle scenario. Business over conservation, that's what the American people voted for that's what we are going to get for the next 4 years.

We can try to fight but it won't work, I'm not going to protest. I'll write a letter to my governor and senator and keep enjoying life. AND if legal, I'll gladly buy an asian aro once the ACT is repealed!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Ive been thinking about this topic lately also...As an avid fishermen im on the fence a bit...but certain species added to the cites list last october affected me and id like that to go away haha... im a bit oldschool... i miss what the hobby had 10+yrs ago. weve been pinched pretty hard these days. LFS are almost obsolete and vendors are becoming scarce aswell. Im all for a boost in imports and in turn a boost in the industry/hobby... Lots of other sp. id like to get my hands on aside from asian aros ;)
I do really miss the old days when I had snakeheads and electric catfish. We don't have nearly as many exotic species now. With Wells put on the list I'm pissed, as are other greatly respected keepers such as yourself.

I would like to see reform to the list of restricted species without the repealing of the ESA

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I do not think that will happen at all! Trump is repealing the monstrously large and complex legislation of Obamacare without a replacement ready. There's no reason to think that he would have a replacement ready for the ESA, he's signed like 20ish executive orders in 8 days without replacements, and anything he needs the house or congress for just pushes it through right away even with the democrats sitting out. The republicans have the House, Senate, presidency, soon the supreme court and the governorships. Trump can change any law he pleases without any resistance.
I said HOPE. I didn't say there was any lol.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I do really miss the old days when I had snakeheads and electric catfish. We don't have nearly as many exotic species now. With Wells put on the list I'm pissed, as are other greatly respected keepers such as yourself.

I would like to see reform to the list of restricted species without the repealing of the ESA
this, thank you that was my point haha. Refresh the list to open it back up a bit but no need to repeal the act haha. I will however import probably 100 different animals if the act goes, just so when they go extinct I can at least say I have them lol. The American people didn't vote business over conservation, they voted with pure anger for what they themselves have let happen to our political system lol. Revolution is coming soon...I can feel that, the people are going to redirect the anger they voted with lol.

Reactions: FishTanksOfCO

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
this, thank you that was my point haha. Refresh the list to open it back up a bit but no need to repeal the act haha. I will however import probably 100 different animals if the act goes, just so when they go extinct I can at least say I have them lol. The American people didn't vote business over conservation, they voted with pure anger for what they themselves have let happen to our political system lol. Revolution is coming soon...I can feel that, the people are going to redirect the anger they voted with lol.
That was almost poetic. Very well said!
I'm with you, once the law goes away major keepers are going to have a field day all over the country importing exotics.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
P pharmaecopia for the win. I have another friend who was just pointing that out to us. It looks like that pipe dream just went up in smoke. And for good reason, let's hope that the lacey act has additional overlaps to ESA and can help minimize the environment impact of when Trump does open up more public lands through its repeal.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Krich long time. Still have some monster Dats?
In a move that I now regret I sold my biggest indo but my next two on the size scale are coming along nicely.How have you been?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store