My bold prediction.. Asian Arowanas will be legal in USA

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
A Arrows are cool, but just last night I was dreaming of bleri and assam and barca and gachua oh my!!! As for American jobs (tax base) look what captive American born rays sell for! I know a few people that could switch up from farming food fish straight to a arrow breeding. Now that'd creat some taxable income and jobs.
All the cities and lacey acts are good shorterm, but come on, there's nothing we can do in the long run. IMO

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
wow i totally missed this discussion.

so lets say this does happen, the market will get flooded so badly and the cost for an arow will most likely rise higher then it is now.
Also just want to remind everyone that importing from another country you have to find your local transhipper to get it to you.

lets hope this happens cause i will be getting one if it does.

Reactions: Arkangel77

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
wow i totally missed this discussion.

so lets say this does happen, the market will get flooded so badly and the cost for an arow will most likely rise higher then it is now.
Also just want to remind everyone that importing from another country you have to find your local transhipper to get it to you.

lets hope this happens cause i will be getting one if it does.
I had a few offers for some but not legal so I passed.
If its ever legal I WILL GET ONE!!!!!!!!!

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I don't think it will ever happen. I wouldn't be surprised if a few other fish start disappearing from our hobby as a result of flawed or misguided legislature in the future :(

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
Like anything else illegal, they are easy to find if you look hard enough and in the right places. Just as long as it is not on CL. LOL. Lots of scams there. So instead of dreaming about laws being repealed, get one and continue to enjoy life. Just don't brag about it and start posting pictures online. They are common in large cities and depending on type, are not as expensive as you may think. Life is too short to worry about stupid unfair laws and waiting for them to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dloks and tdam

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines
What! No way we've discussed this a million times before, they are illegal in the USA. They're on CITES now, only the ones that were here back in the 70's were grandfathered in and they are all long gone so any that are here now, must have been illegally imported because they weren't captive bred in the USA.

That's the current story. But the USA has a new president. Many hate him, many love him. Let's PLEASE not discuss that. Let's discuss this:

https://www.yahoo.com/digest/20170117/gop-makes-plans-invalidate-endangered-species-act-00837573

This is a news story covered by many new outlets. I chose yahoo randomly. The current US administration is signing executive orders and changing laws rapidly everyday. They plan to next invalidate the endangered species act and they may do it soon. They will do it before they have a replacement ready similar to their plan with repealing the Affordable Care Act AKA Obamacare. This means a lot of things! This means that many areas will be opened to drilling and lumber harvesting, there may be limits on the number of species that can be protected. This means that certain conservation efforts will cease and lose funding. this could mean a lot of potentially bad things for animal loving people like us.

But there is a small detail. The Endangered Species Act of 1973 regulates our compliance with something. That something is CITES. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. This agreement between 175 nations is what regulates asian arowanas and many other endangered species.

IF the Endangered species act is repealed there will be no law left in place to force compliance with CITES.
If you take a look at this sheet https://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-library/pdf/ESA_basics.pdf from the US Fish Wildlife Service you will see near the bottom right the following:

"The ESA also implements U.S.
participation in the Convention on
International Trade in Endangered
Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
(CITES), a 175-nation agreement
designed to prevent species from
becoming endangered or extinct due to
international trade. Except as allowed
by permit, CITES prohibits importing
or exporting species listed on its three
appendices. A species may require a
permit under the ESA, CITES, or both"

So should the Endangered Species Act be repealed as it looks likely that it will. Until they issue a replacement for the law there may be nothing legal to enforce the ban on asian arowana. Unless a specific state has a law banning them since we are no longer in compliance with or even recognizing CITES from a legal perspective. Or if there are other laws I'm overlooking tying us to compliance or listing those species specifically. I sent an email to my business attorney asking him what he thinks. Not his area of expertise but he will hopefully be able to point me in the right direction.

NOW...let us debate the legality and probability of this so we can be prepared. Because IF they become legal for a window of time, then made illegal again by later legislation or administration there may be a golden opportunity here for us in respect to owning these species legally in the USA. I for one will enthusiastically support anyone who can further the research on this topic, and the means to make it happen once the laws are repealed. This may be a window, a tiny legal window but it's possible. The best lead we've have in decades.

Anybody here an expert on this?!
Look, Trump's been pretty good. But I don't think he'll be THAT good.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If I missed this I apologize, As someone who has never kept up with the asian aro laws.
Is it possible to buy one legally that was born in captivity here in the US, or no just straight across the board illegal?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
If I missed this I apologize, As someone who has never kept up with the asian aro laws.
Is it possible to buy one legally that was born in captivity here in the US, or no just straight across the board illegal?
Nope. They are out right banned. When the ban went into effect, any existing aros in the country had to be destroyed. Really crazy stuff

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
Nope. They are out right banned. When the ban went into effect, any existing aros in the country had to be destroyed. Really crazy stuff
Actually when the ban went into effect, whoever had one kept it. even the ones now that is confiscated from the black markets wont get destroyed but get sent to zoos or aquarium society that will take them. (note: wouldn't it hypocritical that they destroy something they deemed endangered?) I knew someone recently that order some black diamond rays that got confiscated due to the cities paperwork was wrong. now they live at a zoo in my city.
Funny thing is that even though these arows are ban in the US. If there is a will there is a way i am not promoting anyone to go searching for one but if you do look hard enough your find one.
one day in this century someone will go out and do a count in the rivers and breeding ponds and see that these beautiful animal are no longer endangered. Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand have hundred of thousand of these animal bred in captivity. there is no longer a need to catch these animal in the wild to be sold in the market.

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store