My Brachyplatystoma filamentosum (Disscussion)

HELIOX

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
The Fish Room
Also to add, juvenile Piraibas that Ive acquired and labelled as Peru have a reflective shiny silver, that extends to the belly. The degree of this pearly metallic shine will differ between individuals.... I also have a couple that had a bluish grey metallic color...

These were around 2-3 inches only....

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter can you get side shot of your 3' Suriname? Suriname piraiba have distinctive curve snout, unless yours already damaged his snout. How's your peruvian? It's been a long time since you had any update on them
Yes, I will try to get the shots of all three and update and provide them here in this thread too. Yes, regrettably our Suri has a bit of damage to its upper jaw wherein it started to curve down when it was in 240 gal, not as much as your alleged Brazilian one has but still not virgin.

Sharing my personal and other collector's experiences:

Suriname Piraibas -

I do have a few Suriname Piraibas, and am growing out two groups bought at 2 separate instances. The largest fish around 30 inches give or take a few.

In both groups, the dominant specimen will become very dark. The dominant fish will also grow faster than the rest. The less dominant animal will retain the spots and will have a silver base. The spots are not small and will be reduced to only a few when they grow beyond 12-18 inches. They also seem to have a longer and more streamlined body. Less stubby.

Behaviorally, they are calm. My groups will generally coexist peacefully unless their size difference is significant.

Over the last few years, Suriname Piraibas have been more available here in Asia except for this year.

Peruvian Piraibas -
These have been very rare in my part of the world, and I know of only a few specimens that were imported in the past.

They seem to look shorter, and stubbier... They are taller / thicker around the dorsal fin area. Photos have been shared to me from other collectors who had the opportunity to grow them out. Specimens that were 24 inches were peppered with small black spots. Similar to the photo above with the cichlas. These are beautiful fish.

This year (2018) there has been A LOT of Piraibas that were imported into Asia that were identified as Peruvians, so I bought another 2 groups from 2 separate shipments. These baby fish are more skittish than the Suriname locality. They are more excited during feeding time. Some damaged whiskers, fins and filaments result from this feeding behavior. The spots are not yet peppered and are very similar to juvenile Suriname Piraibas. The main difference I can see in juvenile specimens are: (1) Body Shape (2) Behavior

In time I will see if they pepper up in small spots, which is what Im looking for.

Brazilian Piraiba -
No chance to get one yet... maybe one day :)

PHOTOS ON THIS THREAD:

1ST PHOTO OF DARK PIRAIBA -
LOOKS THICK AND SHORT TO ME, THE TOP SNOUT IS SLIGHTLY DAMAGED DOWNWARDS. NO PEPPERED SMALL SPOTS. ( MY GUESS IS BRAZIL )

2ND PHOTO OF JUVENILE WITH ALBINO PLECO -
LOOKS STREAMLINE, MEDIUM SIZE SPOTS ( LOOKS VERY SURINAME )

3RD PHOTO OF MEDIUM SIZE WITH CICHLAS -
LOOKS THICK TO ME, PEPPERED SPOTS ( LOOKS VERY PERU )

ALL OF THEM VERY BEAUTIFUL FISH :)

When I describe the fish as stubby / short, think Vaillanti..ish...
Thank you bro so very, very much! That's a highly valuable input. At the moment, I must state I concur with your IDs of the photos above Suri and Peru (apart from Brazil which I know nothing about) and of your descriptions of Suri and Peru in general - these differences I think I see in my fish too but with a grain of salt because of the 2x size disparity and also because I've never had a small Suri, mine came in at 1.5'. The Peru pair I got at 5", so these I have watched grow.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
H HELIOX nice input. But the Suriname that are allegedly Peru, have much slender snout, almost duckbill. I never had any experiences in Suriname, I take it you had plenty. So you're input are well trusted.

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter yep, that's why I wanted to start over. To kept non defect piraiba. If I could, wanted to fill the 720g with 3 piraiba variants but truth be told, they are quite pricey. Can't wait for your updates. Would be interesting.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

HELIOX

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
The Fish Room
Great discussion :)

Ive seen only a few photos of larger specimens 24 inch.....of super spotted piraibas... even more spots and smaller spots than the photo shared here of:
filamentosum cf suriname or allegedly peru.

They are beautiful.... still tracking them down, and hope some of what Ive gotten will turn out the same.

Ive bought quite a few allegedly peru and ill share how they develop over time.

In general the allegedly peru stuff has a high back.... think king aro....this gives an impression of a more arrow headed head shape when viewed from the side.

Update, my suri piraibas that are larger have started to have some light squabbles, I think its due to tank size since they are outgrowing it.... they just grow too fast, so I might separate them soon until the big tank is done where I can put all my piraibas together.

So I guess they are gentle community catfish to each other until the tank size is no longer sufficient.

Tripletail

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
everywhere

Ive seen only a few photos of larger specimens 24 inch.....of super spotted piraibas... even more spots and smaller spots than the photo shared here of:

They are beautiful.... still tracking them down, and hope some of what Ive gotten will turn out the same.

In general the allegedly peru stuff has a high back.... think king aro....this gives an impression of a more arrow headed head shape when viewed from the side.

Update, my suri piraibas that are larger have started to have some light squabbles, I think its due to tank size since they are outgrowing it.... they just grow too fast, so I might separate them soon until the big tank is done where I can put all my piraibas together.

So I guess they are gentle community catfish to each other until the tank size is no longer sufficient.

What size big tank are you planning for your piraibas ? You have such perfect weather for ponds is that what you are planning ?

Tripletail

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
everywhere
Wow, your piraibas will be super happy in that tank/pond . 66,043 gallons will be great,and your viewing window seems perfect size . How deep are you planning to make it ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store