My Brachyplatystoma filamentosum (Disscussion)

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
An update on the little guy, finally started eating. Idk what but seen a bulge on his belly.

Even in a lighter substrate, he maintained the dark colour, spots visible from mid dorsal to caudal fin, same as Brazil but too early to tell if it is even Suriname. Surely he ain't a Peru.

Anybody here have any experiences with small Suriname before?

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Just measured today, from tip of the snout to the tip of caudal fin (doesn't include the extension) 9". Superb growth, began eating after tank transfer on 5th Nov.

As seen in the video, doesn't even look Suriname to me. The tank are black back & sides, light substrate, gets enough sunlight during the day. Fish should have lighter colour but remains dark. If its Peru, then I overpayed.

Have no info to compare to, can't tell at what size does the snout started to curve if its indeed a Suriname. All I know there's a difference after they reached 15" or so.

Also, the tank is 120g. He can only stayed to at least 16" in that tank. Hoping to move him to the 720g after that. QUESTION: Can 16" piraiba mixed with 2'+ piraiba?

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Reactions: Dloks

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Confirmed, not Suriname. Picture below shows the true Suriname, probably not the same size but there's a whole lot of difference. No trusted seller, one can only hope get one soon. End of discussion
... As seen in the video, doesn't even look Suriname to me. The tank are black back & sides, light substrate, gets enough sunlight during the day. Fish should have lighter colour but remains dark. If its Peru, then I overpayed.

Have no info to compare to, can't tell at what size does the snout started to curve if its indeed a Suriname. All I know there's a difference after they reached 15" or so.

Also, the tank is 120g. He can only stayed to at least 16" in that tank. Hoping to move him to the 720g after that. QUESTION: Can 16" piraiba mixed with 2'+ piraiba?
But it doesn't look Peru either, even if based on the spotting alone. So what could it be? Only Brazil and Guyana remain?

Are you saying the snout will naturally start to surve in Suriname?

IME, it's a gamble, they don't like each other too much. Being comparable size usually helps avoid getting one killed but the bullying might go on.

H HELIOX used to think piraibas were peaceful with each other but lately he said his started to fight.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
IDK, for 9" piraiba, the snout seems short. Here's a video of 2' same piraiba in seller's hand. Got a big argue with him but he really insisted that it comes from Suriname shipment.

In the video it looks like capapretum almost, but it's a filamentosum. You can hear several times he said ''Suriname". I believe there's another variants in Suriname?

I don't know what I think, if look at post 23, it has sloping snout but after certain size, they curved somehow.... Probably the snout remains the same but the occipital spine getting higher as they grow.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Tripletail Tripletail

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter waiting for his update on his Guyana. From the pics in his thread, it looks nothing like a Guyana, since Guyana & Suriname shares the same river. Have a FB friend from Peru, they called piraiba there as 'Manidoa'. Same as what tripletail's suppliers label the fish as 'Manitoba'. I'm guessing the fish are from Peru.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Hard to tell the difference between them from real photos. So, I took the liberty of drawing the subspecies so you can get better picture of their difference. These fish aesthetic are referred from youtubes, google photos, personal fish. At the same size, 2 ft. Try to draw them as accurate as possible

Brazil
IMG_20181124_001233.jpg
Blunt snout, dark colors (dark blue), small eyes, spots developed from mid dorsal-lateral rib cage to caudal fin, small spots making a rusty appearance, medium torso

Peru
IMG_20181124_001157.jpg
Pointed snout, light colors (light blue/silver/brownish) , prominent spots, some specimen spots developed from the snout till caudal, high torso

Suriname
IMG_20181124_001218.jpg
Curved snout appearance (probably from high occipital spine developed as they aged), dark colors (dark blue), rounded shoulder, small spots & close together

This is just my theory & observation, any new or more correct input are welcome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store