My cichlid tank is super dirty!

Burdloff

Feeder Fish
Nov 2, 2011
Southern Maryland
Over stocked and under filtered. Overstocking the tank doesn't help the fish or allow them to grow. If you found fish that you want to keep that's great but do them the justice and get them into a tank that fits them.

Macenzi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Statesboro
Yes when it's with me I take care, the thing is I've been buying and selling fish for about 2 years now trying to find the right one, had all fish I've wanted that's why I stock my tank so heavy. These fish don't live in the tank for than a month so there is no harm to them very we'll treated. But I believe I have chosen my fish for life which is red devil and red blood parrot. I love them and a 90 is big enough for them for life

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Big Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary
Just curious, how many times a day do you feed your fish? Is it just you who feed or do family members "help". The reason I say this my wife and daughters love to feed the fish if they are begging, which is ALL the time. I feed my fish once a day, that's it. I have known guys who fed 10 (yes 10) times a day and they wonder why they have amonia spikes and the such.

Jtruong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Boston
noticed the gar dissapeared from picture to picture haha. being away at college explained why the tank was dirty. great fishes though!

Macenzi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Statesboro
Okay it's happend again, I left to college leaving my tank in the hand of what I thought was a competent family, the tank is worse than ever I left it crystal clear with an extra filter just incase it got a little dirty. Stock is 5" oscar 5" blood parrot 4" red devil 4" jewel cichlid 3" jewel cichlid 3" synspilum. Now the tank is filthy they just told me today, like can't see past 2 inches into the tank dirty. They tell me they have done a big water change and that they do not over feed my fish even though when they sent me a video I seen lots of un eaten food and they told me that they fed them an hour ago! Anyway I have instructed to water change of 50-60 gallons, clean filters and pads. And not too feed at all until my say so and not turn on lights.
My question is can over feeding and keeping on your lights really cause your tank to be soooo dirty in such a short period of time, I've been gone for 9 days

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
This is the tank the oscar and the to foils are going in? The ones from the 20 gal? Oh and now plus the Jack Dempsey?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store