My cichlids

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Sorry to see them go. They were gorgeous.

What’s next?
Me too, would have liked to keep them until the crazy adult coloration came in. May have to get more in the future if I can.

As for what's next, probably nothing cichlid wise for a while. I've got a 15 gallon reef tank that is a good bit of work to keep up with, and I've got some small planted tanks going. And I still have my big panamensis.
I think next year I will move back to NJ or NYC and try to get a big tank to do centrals again.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Have not updated this thread in a while!
Here's how big boy, my panamensis, is doing. He's probably 7" with his fins, and a chunky 6" without.

Not the greatest pictures... he is not a shy fish at all, until you stick a camera in his face, then he wants to hide.

bigboy3.jpg

bigboy2.jpg

bigboy1.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Looks great, he has come along way since you have had him.
Thanks Dan! I agree he has come along very nicely. One of the most enjoyable fish I have owned. I believe I've had him about 2.5-3 years. Will be interested to see how big he gets, I am fond of him and believe he will be staying with me for as long as he lives.

Agree with Dan. Great example of the species and a credit to you. Cracking fish.
Thank you stan! He is definitely a looker!

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
Hi,
Sad to see your T. Irregularis go, but I have a question for you seeing as you kept them successfully for a long while.

What was the diet that you fed them? Trying to be very cautious of bloat when I get my group. (could you tell me the specific food brand? I noticed you wrote NLS and vegetable flake in a previous post)

Anything that I should know to help prevent bloat?

BTW, I love your crenicichla, Johanna and Venezuela.

(Is this a thread hijack? please delete this if I am!)

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hi,
Sad to see your T. Irregularis go, but I have a question for you seeing as you kept them successfully for a long while.

What was the diet that you fed them? Trying to be very cautious of bloat when I get my group. (could you tell me the specific food brand? I noticed you wrote NLS and vegetable flake in a previous post)

Anything that I should know to help prevent bloat?

BTW, I love your crenicichla, Johanna and Venezuela.

(Is this a thread hijack? please delete this if I am!)
nope, not a hijack you are fine to ask questions!
I fed 1mm regular NLS pellets and Omega one Veggie Kelp Flakes. They seemed to do well on this, didn't lose any to bloat. I enjoyed my group and was sad to see them go, the problem of being a fishkeeper without a very permanent living situation. Please share pictures of yours, I would be interested to see, have only seen a couple other people online who have kept this species.

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
nope, not a hijack you are fine to ask questions!
I fed 1mm regular NLS pellets and Omega one Veggie Kelp Flakes. They seemed to do well on this, didn't lose any to bloat. I enjoyed my group and was sad to see them go, the problem of being a fishkeeper without a very permanent living situation. Please share pictures of yours, I would be interested to see, have only seen a couple other people online who have kept this species.
That is unfortunate. Hopefully, you can find a place to buckle down in the near future and keep as many cichlids as you desire.

Did you feed them any other foods like seaweed, peas, etc? I'm thinking of feeding mine repashy as well, but the protein percentage in many repashy products are higher than usual vegetable-based pellets in the market like Omega One Veggie Rounds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store