My cichlids

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Nice! I actually upgraded my phone to the iPhone X not too long ago, and have reverted to taking fish photos with the phone. My DSLR is old and the iPhone camera actually does better for a novice like myself! But I still play around with the DSLR for some more artsy shots sometimes
Not sure how the iphone camera works on videos, maybe you have to use an app but with the Lumix I take 4k vids and I can grab photo shots out of the vids. Works great for fish. Especially posers like Luther.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
How is their behaviour? If they were available I'd happily snag one! :D

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
How is their behaviour? If they were available I'd happily snag one! :D
Similar to convicts I'd say. In a group they worked fine in a 90 gallon. I had a group of 5 & this guy had a female, they bred a few times, but once I separated the rest of the group and left just the pair, the big boy killed his girlfriend. He is not too hard on non-cichlids though, he will nip them here and there, but he lives with "larger tougher" community fish in a 45 now.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
So, I had a few threads for different tanks with some pictures, but I wanted one place to post pics of my fish. So I am just going to update this thread with pictures as my fish grow and as I get new ones. Also just started shooting with dslr, so will have better quality photos than before.
Crenicichla sp. Venezuela
View attachment 1300542

View attachment 1300543

View attachment 1300534

And a new pickup to grow out, a young Istlanum.
View attachment 1300544

View attachment 1300546

I will get some good pictures of my other cichlids soon. Still learning how to work the camera. But excited that I can take better quality pics.
First pic is a Red or Johanna Pike, right? I have a fish that looks just like that.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
First pic is a Red or Johanna Pike, right? I have a fish that looks just like that.
It is a crenicichla sp. Venezuela, not a johanna or "red" which usually would mean atabapo. They are all in the lugubris family, so all related.
I did have a johanna pike years ago, huge female. Here's a pic of her
joh.JPG

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Here's an update on the irregularis group I've got. They are doing well, still have all 5. Biggest one has grown maybe an inch since I've had them, which is probably about 8 months now. Not very quick growers. But the colors are starting to come in.
pics
irr2 6-14.jpgirr3 6-14.jpgirr4 6-14.jpgirr5 6-14.jpgirr6 6-14.jpgirr6-14.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Well, sold my group of Irregularis today. I wanted to keep them, but decided against a bigger tank in my small apartment, and felt they needed more room. I've had them for a year now in a 50 gallon and they all grew about an inch in that time. Now they are headed to a 200 gallon tank with some thoricthys as tankmates, which sounds just about perfect.
Here's a parting shot of one of them
THERAPS.jpg

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Well, sold my group of Irregularis today. I wanted to keep them, but decided against a bigger tank in my small apartment, and felt they needed more room. I've had them for a year now in a 50 gallon and they all grew about an inch in that time. Now they are headed to a 200 gallon tank with some thoricthys as tankmates, which sounds just about perfect.
Here's a parting shot of one of them
View attachment 1383556
Sorry to see them go. They were gorgeous.

What’s next?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store