My datnoid injured it’s body (again...)

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
A few weeks back I posted that my datnoid hurt it’s eye. I separated into a quarantine tank and it healed nicely. Last week I added the datnoid back into the main tank and it somehow injured its body. I’m beyond upset rn and it’s mainly my heater fault as the datnoid uses it as a structure and I don’t have a heater guard. I’ll be removing this heater and getting a heater with a heater guard ASAP, but please advise me what I can do to keep this fish alive. I’m thinking of adding it to the 30 gallon quarantine and dosing aquarium salt, epsom salt, and melafix (since it’s an injury). From the looks of it, it’s fleshy and white stuff hanging from the damaged part. Let me know what I should do! Thanks!

C8E41F3F-47DC-4C4E-8B07-33EBCFB166A2.jpeg

78ED3BDA-7046-433A-A78B-6A511ABDBE54.jpeg

1D2B7907-048B-4638-94E5-2958E83AB11A.jpeg

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Don’t panic and start dumping all your meds into your tank.

keep your water clean, a bit of salt is fine.don’t use epsom salt unless you are treating bloat or swim bladder type issues.

it’s hiding behind the heater because it feels insecure. You can give it other hiding spots, and or try adding some dithers.

a heater guard is a good idea tho.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Don’t panic and start dumping all your meds into your tank.

keep your water clean, a bit of salt is fine.don’t use epsom salt unless you are treating bloat or swim bladder type issues.

it’s hiding behind the heater because it feels insecure. You can give it other hiding spots, and or try adding some dithers.

a heater guard is a good idea tho.
Hi thanks for the reply! I haven’t added the melafix yet, and will use it as a last resort if it doesn’t get better in a few weeks. Also haven’t added the epsom salt yet so thanks for the heads up. I’ve taken out a lot of the hiding spots such as rocks and driftwood because I’m afraid it will get hurt from them. Probably adding some plastic decor or softer material will be a better idea.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Doesn’t look bad yet. Clean water and some salt 1 tsp per g( sodium chloride and not epsom salt) can help.

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
If this has happened twice, maybe he needs a bigger tank/ more swimming room to keep him from running into things. It seems like more Datnoid keepers go minimal to no aqua scaping.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
If this has happened twice, maybe he needs a bigger tank/ more swimming room to keep him from running into things. It seems like more Datnoid keepers go minimal to no aqua scaping.
Yeah I’ve taken out most of the decor the tank is mostly planted so it’s not really bare. The main issue is just the heater, there’s no heater guard and it will wedge itself near the heater as a place to stay. Will be replacing the heater as soon as I can. Also anyone have any ideas to make a diy heater guard? Could I use like a water bottle or pvc pipe?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Doesn’t look bad yet. Clean water and some salt 1 tsp per g( sodium chloride and not epsom salt) can help.
Yep. Moved the datnoid over to the 30 gallon and added aquarium salt. It seems to be a small damage so I’m hoping it will heal soon.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Yeah I’ve taken out most of the decor the tank is mostly planted so it’s not really bare. The main issue is just the heater, there’s no heater guard and it will wedge itself near the heater as a place to stay. Will be replacing the heater as soon as I can. Also anyone have any ideas to make a diy heater guard? Could I use like a water bottle or pvc pipe?
Pvc pipe with lots of holes drilled in it, zip tie it to the top of the heater to keep it attached.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store