My Delhezi isn't eating! help !

MrHarris

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
feeder tank
My 3" Delhezi I just got about 3 days ago isn't eating. It hasn't ate a single thing since I got him. He's very skinny and is in a 10 gallon tank with a .5" convict cichlid. The tank is barebottom and he has a piece of driftwood for shelter. The tank is about at 76 degrees and the pH is about 8.0. I've been trying to feed him Hikari sinking carnivore pellets but he doesn't seem to move. I recently put in the smallest rosy red minnow I could find but he doesn't seem interested in that either. Anyone got any ideas? Is it because it's so small or something? Any help would be appreciated :)

P5010001.JPG

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
It can take a cpl of days for bichirs to settle in.Try defrosted bloodworms-Anne

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
forgot to add feed it just after you turn the lights off for the night-Anne

MrHarris

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
feeder tank
Okay, I just turned off the lights right now but left one of the carnivore pellets and one rosy red. Do you think it even recognizes food? It seems so unresponsive to everything. Even if I put my hand right next to it, it doesnt flintch. If I touch it, it will move a little but not like any other fish I touch as usually when I touch fish, they move away from me lol.

sma

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2006
OC
try some torn up market shrimp. mine love them.

MrHarris

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
feeder tank
Anyone else got any more advice/help? How long will this poor guy go without food before he starves to death?

MrHarris

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
feeder tank
Would feeder guppies help? They are quite a bit smaller than the rosy reds. What would be the most appealing food to my Delhezi?

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
Assuming that it's healthy, it should last a couple of weeks or more without eating anything. My ornate took about a month before I saw it eat something. Just keep trying and don't panic just yet.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
The best advice I can give you is to focus on the type of food you will be giving it as a staple.

I bought two juvie endli's last saturday, and they were only eating live worms.

I don't feed live worms, so I let them not eat. All I offered were the regular pellet foods, FD krill/plankton, FT krill, and flakes.

After two days, one of the juvies took a few flakes, but not much.

Today, after 3 days of not eating, both lil juvies decided to chow down after I offered chopped up bits of FT (frozen thawed) krill.

I expect them to start eating the other types of food I feed within the next few days or weeks.

So if you're only feeding sinking carnivore pellets, be sure to break them up into pieces small enough for the fish to swallow.

Bloodworms are one of the best first foods for juvie polys, and most will take to them quickly.

One last thing, Nice Del!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store