My eelpout spawned!!!!!!!!!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I would add that these eelpouts can found in coolwater deep lakes (usually oligotrophic and mesotrophic lakes) and larger deep rivers. Eelpouts are absent in shallow lakes (less than 25 feet deep). They are literally reproducing under the ice in Jan and Feb. Catching an adult eelpout while fishing in summer are extremely rare that its almost unheard of. I know someone in my community, took a 18" eelpout with a bow and arrow two summers ago and it was first eelpout ever taken w bow and arrow.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
We have these here in Maine, and call them cusk. I have caught juveniles in the summer in shallow areas, but not adults. Adult cusk are caught while ice fishing.
About how big is your pond, and did you stock it with cusk?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
We have these here in Maine, and call them cusk. I have caught juveniles in the summer in shallow areas, but not adults. Adult cusk are caught while ice fishing.
About how big is your pond, and did you stock it with cusk?
Seeing that he lives in Montana, the pond is most likely be cooler and cleaner enough to holds trout.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

in_the_seance

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2012
montana
The pond is roughly 3 acres. The tank I had adults in was prob around the 60s in the summer. The adults i got are my profile pic I had 40 originally.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I caught the juveniles many years ago in two different places; one place was near the outlet of a lake and the other place was in a river (which the lake emptied into). Both the river and the lake are not considered habitats suitable for "cold water species", and the lake is actually eutrophic. Looking back, it is interesting that the cusk were in these locations.
Glad yours reproduced in your pond. I hear they are good to eat.

in_the_seance

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2012
montana
I have some leftover I don't want to underbid my friend and there's no market to compare. Let me know what you think is fair price for them?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I would give him some for free, if they're going in an aquarium that is warmer than the one these eelpouts were currently in. They looks like good sized ones so there's a good chance they lost their heat tolerance already.

Last edited:

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I caught the juveniles many years ago in two different places; one place was near the outlet of a lake and the other place was in a river (which the lake emptied into). Both the river and the lake are not considered habitats suitable for "cold water species", and the lake is actually eutrophic. Looking back, it is interesting that the cusk were in these locations.
Glad yours reproduced in your pond. I hear they are good to eat.
It is very interested to finding juveniles in odd places, but its most likely the adults were migrating to spawn in the rivers and the outlets then probably went back to somewhere other than that eutropic lake.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
They are 8-10" heres the best measurement i could get.
View attachment 1158053
I never find any eelpouts over 8"+ in warm areas, suggested they lost their heat tolerance at that size. I had a big group of eelpouts under 4-6" but eventually lost them to warm temperatures after they grew up a little. That was during middle of summer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store