My first discus

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Looks like a mosaic turquoise variant. It is a very nice fish, but honestly dont anticipate it staying that way with those fish and singly.
You will find out pretty quickly if not working. The discus wont eat, it will remain barred up, and fins clamped to make itself appear smaller around the more aggressive fish.
Too bad- it is a nicely shaped and colored fish.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Looks like a mosaic turquoise variant. It is a very nice fish, but honestly dont anticipate it staying that way with those fish and singly.
You will find out pretty quickly if not working. The discus wont eat, it will remain barred up, and fins clamped to make itself appear smaller around the more aggressive fish.
Too bad- it is a nicely shaped and colored fish.
the bars indicate stress? The fins have opened up and it’s eating with everyone else. No one really picks on it.

Reactions: Matteus

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
the bars indicate stress? The fins have opened up and it’s eating with everyone else. No one really picks on it.
Yes, dark barring like you see in photo indicates stress-- unless its a Heckel strain, which is unlikely.
If it is eating that is very good.
No one really picks on it or not at all?

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Yes, dark barring like you see in photo indicates stress-- unless its a Heckel strain, which is unlikely.
Sorry, let me rephrase that:
No one picks on it while I’m watching the tank. Who knows what goes on when the lights go off but I don’t have any catfish and I don’t ever wake up to fin damage other than the two plecos that don’t get along.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
+1
My friend has wilds and their barring goes deeply intense when they get stressed.

Reactions: Lilyann and Matteus

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
+1
My friend has wilds and their barring goes deeply intense when they get stressed.
If you sit and watch your discus over an hour period you will see them move in between darker and lighter barring as they react to things in and outside of the tank. But, while normal fading in and out of bar colors is normal- you can see the difference in the intensity and duration of this barring with the extremes: just acclimated fish, discus that are ill, or fish that are being bullied will show the darkest color for longer periods.
Anyone that has had discus for long learns this is a barometer of their discus' stress-level and health. Of course, not all domestic discus are barred ( in contrast to wilds, which are), but the ones that are barred "speak" to you through the changes in color intensity and duration.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Hmm I haven’t seen the bars go away. How would I know if it’s a Heckel?
Looks like I’m going to have to look for a good home for it.

Last edited:

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I just googled Heckel discus and it looks like they usually have one thick dark band. Mine has multiple bands. Doubt it’s one of those.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
So I’ve decided I’m definitely going to get rid of the discus. Not because it’s not doing well though. I noticed The stress bars went away and as soon as I walked up to the tank, the bars came back. This thing doesn’t like me lol. I was working on the sump for a while then when I stood up, the bars were gone until it saw me again! Little sh*t! So I’m trying to trade it for a small lap or L046 any size. It’s been a learning experience but this discus needs to be with more discus, not my curent stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store