My fish rooms build

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
I always wanted to have plants with my tanks but never could because of the other animals in the house. The plant room evolved out of a combination of that and the realization we might need to grow our own food in the future. After getting all the food we wanted that could be grown, there was a ton of empty space in the room and....well.....it's a lot easier and cheaper to collect house plants than it is fish.

But it has evolved in to a future combination fish/plant room idea. Almost every single plant I have can be grown with it's roots and/or stem/rhizome in water. So the plan is to move every single plant in the room (save the maybe 6 that can't) in to the tank/pond once it's set up.

I've been toying back and forth with the idea of a pond vs a tank. The room is big enough to hold a 10x4 footprint and I know I want to look at the fish from the side, but as stated above, have plenty of room for plants. So a pond with a few viewing windows sounds like the way to go. I don't trust my plumbing/sealant skills to build one out of wood and there's no power in the room so if I went more permanent like concrete I'd have to resolve that first. Well I have to resolve that first anyway. I've also been eying tanks that size from places online and hoping they have a super sale or something due to the pandemic.

Either way, life happened and we used up all our savings on more important things so the big purchase is going to have to wait. But I'm planning to get the broken 8 footer fixed soon and replace the 55 with that so I can get it out of the living room and then get started on the new plumbing/electrical.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Wow! Thats a cool idea! tbh, I would go with the tank because you can see the fish clearly. With a pond, it (in my perspective) doesn't look as cool as a tank. But, money situation, a pond is better. Also, a pond only needs to be cleaned once every 6 months or so (thats what I heard), but if I had the money, I would go with the tank

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store