My flowerhorn is sick! PLS HELP

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Hello guys my flowerhorn of 3.5 inches as been sick for 2 weeks now. At first he had white poop mixed wirh brown he used to eat and all. I tried soaking pellets in metro and garlic and fed him. After a little while he started to poop only white and needed time to tske em out. From then i started treating the tank with metronidazole (crushed it mixed it in some aq. water and put it inside) also daily water changes and one dose of metro daily and didnt feed him , i tried that for a week and it didnt work. The next week i get recommended for Paracilin Capsules to be us3d by my Lfs, its been another week with treating with that but it still isnt working. Today he still poops clear white and jelly like poop. Do i need to force feed him? cause i dont think ill be able to but i still can try. He doesnt accept any food, he comes up and acts like he wants some but when i drop in he doesnt eat it. Its been 2 weeks since he hasnt eaten anything so his belly has shruken too. Please do help!

IMG_20190410_093006.jpg

IMG_20190410_095832.jpg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Not a Vet & I have never owned a flowerhorn, but my immediate inclination would be do a 90% water change & see if he still rejects food.

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
While treated, fish may not accept food. As suggested, start with large water changes to give the fish immune system a break.

Also, the possibility is the issue isn't protzoa but worms so you may look into trying flubendazole or levamisole.

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
While treated, fish may not accept food. As suggested, start with large water changes to give the fish immune system a break.

Also, the possibility is the issue isn't protzoa but worms so you may look into trying flubendazole or levamisole.
Shall i try using flubendazole or levamisole too? Today for the first time i syringed him with metro-400 and pellets mixed solution. How am i supposed to use levamisole or flubendazole if i have to? Cause idk if its cause is worms or protzoa. Please help someone!

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Get flubendazole, if you can or a med with active ingredient flubendazole. Flubendazole is dosed directly to the water. It is safe for any fish. It has effect on both worms and protozoa.

On your question, it is hard to know what it is, unless you have a microscope and check a fresh feces sample.

See how it goes with the metro.

Reactions: KarkiPratik

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I'm not sure if your FH is completely past the stage of accepting food, but if you do try to treat any food with meds such as metro. etc. I'd suggest to mix in a bit of garlic extract (e.g. Seachem Garlic Guard), which will increase the chance your fish will take and keep the food down, but again I'm not sure if it's beyond that and not even nibbling on food. Also although it's not scientifically proven, there are many who believe that garlic helps to kill some pathogens, though I'm not sure if this extends to worms and protozoa. Good luck and hope he pulls through.

Reactions: KarkiPratik

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Get flubendazole, if you can or a med with active ingredient flubendazole. Flubendazole is dosed directly to the water. It is safe for any fish. It has effect on both worms and protozoa.

On your question, it is hard to know what it is, unless you have a microscope and check a fresh feces sample.

See how it goes with the metro.
I did get the medicine from.a vet but on the package it says its for dogs i hope i can use it. What are the doses i must use?

15553208460155579824788359054483.jpg

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
It is not FLUbendazole.

I see it contains praziquantel and FENbendazole which is a different type of med. I would not put that in the water. I am not familiar with the third ingredient.

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Just to add,fish can have adverse effect from FENbendazole in the water column. Its ok in food.
Alright then im.just gonna exchange this meds i am not finding flubendazole or levamisole easily. I think tomorrow ill have to check somewhere else. Usage of the med i brought today is not ok then right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store