My flowerhorn is sick! PLS HELP

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I'm not sure if your FH is completely past the stage of accepting food, but if you do try to treat any food with meds such as metro. etc. I'd suggest to mix in a bit of garlic extract (e.g. Seachem Garlic Guard), which will increase the chance your fish will take and keep the food down, but again I'm not sure if it's beyond that and not even nibbling on food. Also although it's not scientifically proven, there are many who believe that garlic helps to kill some pathogens, though I'm not sure if this extends to worms and protozoa. Good luck and hope he pulls through.
Sorry, I just noticed in your OP that you were already giving him garlic with metro. Anyway agreed with Coryloach I personally also wouldn't give him that medicine for dogs, even if the ingredients were safe it'd be so easy to muck up the dosage. Is your fish still not eating?

Reactions: KarkiPratik

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I have to go to small boutique fish shops to get even Paraguard, Prazipro, Metro+, Methlyene blue, Bufuran etc.
Even strong water conditioners aren't sold much. Just dilute stuff.

None of the "box" stores here carry many of the serious meds anymore due to concern of liability about antibiotics etc. plus slow sales.
Or they say. I think they found a large percentage of sales were actually going for human use.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Charney Charney

duanes duanes

Sorry about the OP's problems with the flowerhorn. I don't own one. But I am wondering if these hybrid type fish have a propensity for intestinal disorders.
I was looking at this video last weekend and the owner was also struggling with what he believed to be HITH.
Since the metro apparently didn't work I am wondering if it was something eles?
Also saw this on amazon. Have no idea what it is. Looks like you force feed it.
https://www.amazon.com/FlowerHorn-i...ish+dewormer&qid=1555344043&s=gateway&sr=8-11

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I would stop treatment at this point. You dosing alot of medication to a fish without a clue of what it has.

Clear poop isn't always a disease or parasites. It can be due to constipation. If this is the case and you begin treatment as you did, it can easily make the fish worse.

Medicating fish without a clue is the reason why we have problems with super bugs and viruses and is why they have stopped the sale of medication here in Canada at LFS. Must be vet prescribed now.

Microscope the poop and see what you got. Then medicate accordingly.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Sorry about the OP's problems with the flowerhorn. I don't own one. But I am wondering if these hybrid type fish have a propensity for intestinal disorders.
I was looking at this video last weekend and the owner was also struggling with what he believed to be HITH.
Yes indeed, Flowerhorn are quite prone to intestinal disorders -- I've seen that and other videos by that YouTuber and imho while the temp change during his water change might have weakened the fish to the degree that it enabled HITH to take over, imho he also went overboard on the crazy variety of foods he was trying to feed his fish. All a Flowerhorn needs is a good quality pellet or two and maybe only very occasional treat of frozen foods (and arguably not freeze dried krill, which some say can scratch their stomach lining, but personally not sure on that point).

Reactions: HybridFinatic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store