My flowerhorn turns white

Digzz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2019
She dropped her egg tube and looks ready to lay eggs. Females can lay eggs without a male around. If she does lay eggs and they turn white after a day or 2 you know they are bad. If there is a fertile male parrot around you might get lucky
Raine
Just wondering why her stomach is flat. And shes kinda friendly to parrots lately.. usually she attack them.

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Raine
Just wondering why her stomach is flat. And shes kinda friendly to parrots lately.. usually she attack them.
Some females also can go through the motions doing everything a breeding female would do without ever laying eggs.
Cichlids are very unique and not all are alike. Each fish has it's personality

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Are you sure its not fading? Still cant tell if thats egg tube or prolapsed anus. Gill covers look funny. Get a test kit if it is acting sick.

Reactions: islandguy11

Digzz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2019
Are you sure its not fading? Still cant tell if thats egg tube or prolapsed anus. Gill covers look funny. Get a test kit if it is acting sick.
I actually don't know what's fading is that's what I want to clarify drin the start...what kit is that ? Sorry this is my 1st time on this..

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Oh man Im sorry check the stickies at top of this subforum. Should have some info.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Fading is losing the dark melanin in the skin to expose a lighter base color. Its a process that takes time. Your parrot fish are faders.
20190707_205817.jpgHere is a female fader of a different breed (almost done fading) showing a bit of the egg depositor. A first time egg layer can show this for up to 2 weeks before she lays, after that it usually only pops out a day or two before laying.
It could be a prolapsed anus due to illness. If you say your water is fine and the other fish are fine I would not suspect illness. Your tank is overstocked which could lead to problems. Your fh looks like a female to me. Try and get better pics. Sometimes turning on flash helps get better shots of a moving target.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
If you cut your livestock in half you could get away with a 50% waterchange every week. You will not have success or much enjoyment in this if you keep your tank overstocked. A water test kit is always good to have on hand as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store