My humble outdoor pond :)

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Just sharing my humble outdoor pond of which I hardly have time to take care of. Surprisingly though, the inhabitants flourish in there regardless of the lack of filtration. All I have in there is a 2.5hp water pump for constant water flow over some japmats for bio. Other than that, a bi monthly flush of 90% water change. I actually don't know how much water the pond holds, it is over 20 years old. The current stock is: 3 alligator gars which I introduced as 5" babies around two years ago. They are currently around 30-36", each tile is 6"x6" for reference and very thick. Actually as thick if not thicker than my forearm. I also have 3x channa micro peltes in there that are 20-24" that I put in as babies during the beginning of the year. I had a bigger trio in there last year but unfortunately those didn't make it when I placed them in a holding tub during the past winter. Somehow, jumped out of it(2 feet clearance). Last but not least, the oldest inhabitant is a 10+ year old red ear slider than has been in there. Here are some pictures I snapped up from the second level balcony. There was also a bunch of red belly piranhas around 5-6" that I put in there before but they all disappeared.. :x

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Wow awesome pond. Cool fish

Reactions: TERTELKeng

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Thanks, this pond was originally constructed over 20 years ago as a two tier with a waterfall part of the landscaping backyard section of the my house. I have shut off the waterfall portion and only kept the bottom part running with minimal maintenance. Had to make use of what was here in place already but no I didn't make it myself.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
very cool pond. Thanks for sharing.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
No better pictures of the gars yet. I'll look into getting a GoPro sometime soon. I don't venture into my backyard enough because there is a **** ton of mosquitoes (tiger banded ones) which make it a big hassle to stay out there longer than necessary lol. I view from my second floor balcony to avoid getting bit.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It looks pretty good for it to receive the kind of attention that you have described.I wonder what became of those red bellies,the gar probably took them out.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I'm glad you pointed that out K krichardson this was right after a 90% flush. Usually it gets pretty dark and cluttered with debris. It doesn't seem to affect the inhabitants negatively either. i do think the gars took out the rbp for sure. they were big enough where I don't think the snakeheads were able to swallow them but I may wrong. The gars take down 5-6" feeders with ease.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Too bad you can't go out there and enjoy the pond more often.Those mosquitos sound like they can really lay a hurting on a person.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store